www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

For bucktails and topwaters on the Chip, what rod length do you prefer? Also how do you compare more expensive rods (e.g. St. Croix premier series) with less expensive ones (e.g. St. Croix mojo series)? In other words, do you think the cost is worth it? Lastly, what about split grip rods? Thanks in advance. I get more out of this board than anything out there.

a longer rod gives you more casting distance, perhaps a little less accuracy, much easier figure 8 and those figure 8's seem to becoming more critical as the fish become educated with catch and release. On the rod itself, weight and durability are my key concerns. A cheap rod will tend to be heavier and that takes it's toll over a weeks worth of casting and durability could be an issue. Hate to have the rod fail when you finally connect. Matching the action the the lure weight really makes a difference too. If your rod is too stiff for your lure or too limp for your lure you loose effectiveness. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy for all my musky poles but each one has it's place and makes fishing more pleasurable. I have found that I also prefer a longer thicker handle, feels more comfortable at the end of the day.

Thanks! Lighter can definitely make a difference during a week long trip putting in long days. I was thinking of the St. Croix legend series vs the less expensive mojo series. I was also thinking top n tail (8' 0") vs long ranger (8' 6") and considering the split grip. If the extra money for the legend series means more comfort and durability it would be worth it.

Check the warranty also!!! I think it is considerably better with the legend series.

Mark

I currentley have the top-n-tail and big nasty in the split grip models.The top-n-tail gets the majority of the use and has been an awesome rod.Looking to get a deal at the MN expo and hopefully add the long ranger to the mix.If you fish alone I think the top-n-tail might be easier for netting on your own otherwise I'd go for the long ranger.I think with the split grip models my accuracy improved it forces you to grab the identical spots for casting each time.Hope it helps Russ

One thing a lot of people don't realize when getting a bucktail/topwater rod is how fast you set the hook. I have a client named John Straple who was missing a lot of fish. He sets the hook exactly like I do. He's quick and solid with the hookset to the point of being too quick. He missed a lot of fish with me until I realized it wasn't John as much as it was his rod that was missing fish for him. He's way better now. When I say better I mean he catches more fish.

Now I don't think there is such a thing as too quick on a hookset so I use a rod to slow me down rather than trying to change my instincts. It's kind of like making a golf club to fit a persons golf swing if he's constantly slicing. It's a lot easier to change golf clubs than change how you golf. I use a medium heavy 8'6" rod or 9" medium heavy rod. I really like the Legend Tournament series from St.Croix but the standard premier is also nice. The less you spend the heavier and less sensative you get. Well, you personally wont get less sensative I hope, just the rod will. Basically it's a financial choice as much as a personal choice. You can go with a Thorne Bros custom rod with a Legend blank and have the best from the start or go with a lower end rod but still be effective once you get used to the rod. Either way you'll be fishing so life's good.

Good luck,

Almost forgot, the split grip is not for me but some love it. Just pick up some rods at a show or store and tuck them under your arm to try them.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I started out with the 6 foot pool cue and it was drilled into me you can't set too fast. As a result I got to the point of setting too fast and lost a lot of fish due to that and the stiff rod. Over time i finally learned the rod makes a big difference. I think a more forgiving rod helps with the hookset and also holding onto the fish during jumps etc. The length also matters as the longer rod lets you cast farther and do a much better job on figure 8's ( which I am striving to improve) but it also can be a hindrance if you are fishing alone; trying to net the fish with a fish on and a big net in the other hand. For me a 7 1/2 half footer seems to work the best but must be flexible (I fish alone most of the time); you need to find the right rod for you style of fishing. I fish bucktails most of the time because I have a tendency to pull the bait from fish with a surface bait as I often set as soon as I see something and with the bucktail I'll feel the fish. It's hard to get past all the years of training of "you can never set to fast". I wish I had the choice of rods that are out there today years ago as I know I would have caught many more fish. A rod is extremely important and probalbly more important than the bait you are throwing. Keep your hooks sharp!!!!!!!

With the split grip the exposed rod blank is right against my side during my retrieve. This dramatically increases the sensitivity, IMO. I can really feel the slightly disturbance, be it a lure ticking weed tops, the blades skipping, or anything else. I really like it.