www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Early muskie season this year

Default Early muskie season this year

There is talk of an early muskie season opening this coming year. There are some DNR agents involved in trying to get the season changed. The muskie season would be opened the same time the walleye season opens. I think most of you already know my opinion of this but so you know here is what I wrote back to the email sent to me;

"****, thanks for sending the info to me. I'm all for opening up the bass season early but do have some concerns for opening up the musky season early. I worry about the spawning muskies out here because a lot of the population is dependent on natural reproduction. Don't get me wrong, I stand to gain financially from opening the musky season early but am still against it. That tells you how important I think it is to not open the musky season until they are done spawning. The last thing spawning muskies need is baits flying at them when they are in a couple feet of water. Nothing good can come from it except more money in peoples pockets and a worse off resource to show for it."
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    There is talk of an early muskie season opening this coming year. There are some DNR agents involved in trying to get the season changed. The muskie season would be opened the same time the walleye season opens. I think most of you already know my opinion of this but so you know here is what I wrote back to the email sent to me;

"****, thanks for sending the info to me. I'm all for opening up the bass season early but do have some concerns for opening up the musky season early. I worry about the spawning muskies out here because a lot of the population is dependent on natural reproduction. Don't get me wrong, I stand to gain financially from opening the musky season early but am still against it. That tells you how important I think it is to not open the musky season until they are done spawning. The last thing spawning muskies need is baits flying at them when they are in a couple feet of water. Nothing good can come from it except more money in peoples pockets and a worse off resource to show for it."
    We need a "Like" button in here!

I agree with you and applaud your strong feelings for protecting the resource. Personally I would love to see a musky stamp so only people dedicated to fishing muskies (and schooled in CPR) could if in the unlikely situation keep the trophy, versus the incidental catch by an other species fisherman who views a 34 as a trophy and would harvest it with no thought to the resource. Just my two bits, Dean

Personally agree with both of your statements!!! If we want to extend the season, extend it on the other end when the fish are not dealing with the spawning effort!!!

Very similar to duck hunting, everyone wants to extend it on the front side because its warm, when in fact the many of the ducks are just getting here when the season is ending...

Mark

Ty, who can we email our opinion to? Scheirer is my local DNR fisheries guy, I can't remember who the N WI head fisheries guy is. Would this have to go through the CC?

I'll do some looking to find out who to email. I kind of got this seccond hand. I'm guessing you will want to email our local fisheries tech.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Wow that’s interesting. I agree to leave them alone until they’re done spawning. I like the idea of the largemouth season opening early. When will we know for sure? Are we supposed to eat the largemouth again next year too?
    Thanks Ty, please keep us informed

In my layman's opinion, largemouth really aren't a problem on the Chip. I don't see a problem with opening up their season, or eating them, since they don't have much pressure and you aren't going to have people sight fishing beds like they do down south. The dozen or more that i caught when I was up there last fall showed no signs of being stunted. They cant be any more of a Walleye Terminator than any other predator that swims in the lake. Muskies included. Never knew a member of the pike family to pass up a perch when they are hungry. I agree with Ty, protect that spawn. You have a world class musky fishery why do anything to harm it.

Just my 2 cents

Leave the spawners alone ( all though the way this year is going it will be over). I don't buy the more business theory as walleye opener is always busy and one less opener will probably hurt not help business. Everyone knows how much we like an opener! Never saw this as an issue and don't know why it is one now. Not in favor of a musky stamp to give money to DNR to P away.

Has there been an decision on when the musky season opens up for this year?

I haven't heard anything yet.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843