www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Winter Night fishing

Default Winter Night fishing

Ok Guys,
    So night trolling the Bays is done all the time in the Summer and Fall.
    What about night fishing through the ice?
    Anyone doing it?
    Having any success?
    I rarely if ever have hear of people night fishing the Bay in the Winter. It seems the water is clear and that it may work well.
    Some discussion on this?
    Lloyd

i dont know about the bay, never tried it...always wanted to because the best fishing ive ever had through the ice was at night...use to go out and pull up fish everynight when i live in minnesota...the trick was to fish shallow water less than 12 feet.. the thing was that everybody else that had their permanent houses in 30 fow thought the fish shut down after dark....almost nobody fished it at night but thats when the really good fishing for me was..

Yup, same for me and I also come from Minnesota. I know a few lakes don't get much of a night bite. Lake of the Woods is too stained as are some others. But I think the Bay is generally plenty clear and the fish certainly bite at night during the open water. I am hoping some folks respond here even if it's to say they never tried it.
    Lloyd

Default Dark fishing

I have stayed out after dark and never got even 1 hit and I usually have good luck early am and evening They do move and or shut off at dark by me. 24 FOW

Never fished lbdn after dark but have farther south.. The problem is the bite shuts off when everyone makes all the noise packin up at dark and it would take some time to turn back on again... Had the same problem here but if you can sneak back out without much noise from 10-12 have got some nice catches with nobody around....

Hey Schmutzomatic 5000,
    That is great info about the noise factor and some success. When you say further south, is that near Ford R. area or further yet

I fished LBDN a couple years ago at night. In early evening, everyone cleared out. Thirty minutes later, an 11 lb walleye hit my tipup. He's on the wall now. From my perspective there seems to be a "golden hour" right before dark. But it can be really good after dark as well.

I to have wondered about night success. I have tried several times in the last few years on little bay with mixed success. I have stuck it out from 2 hours before dark till almost midnight a few times. I have caught a few fish but have found most of the time the graph goes dead for about an hour after dark then the action will pick up a little again. I have began fishing till dark and going in to eat and relax a bit then i go back out for a couple hours around 9 or 10 and i have more success. Only a few nights have i ever really got into them, most of the time the hour before dark and first 2 hours in the morning are still the best for me. I never move spots though cuz its just easy to hop in the shack quick after dark but i have concidered popping up something on top of the bank to try after dark this year, i will let you know if it works i am heading back in a week or two

I really appreciate the responses to this. I am hoping to spend a few days (and nights) on the Bay soon and the experiences people relate here help me put together a plan. I hope we have some more coming.
    What are people fishing with both during the day and during the night. Tip ups? Jigging? Deadsticks? What lures?
    Thanks in advance!
    Lloyd

I read an article about brown trout fishing . they say that at dark they lay down for about an hour to let the cones in their eyes fully dialate then start feeding again. I think the walleyes do the same. both night feeders. I stayed out on the bay last year an caught a few an hour after dark till about 11pm / all big fish and on tipups.jigged some but did'nt do as well. better during full moon.

In response to Lbn night fishing.a group of us walleye guys from south of Madison wi fish this fine area numerous times thought the year.We camp it almost every wknd in jan feb and now mar.and have for many years. In checking our fish log book I have found 90% of our fish over 30 inches have all came on tip ups with six inch suckers between one and three in the morning and our largest between three and five. Hope this is of some help.Any other trucks besides the one brave Wisconsin plate. Would like to arrive next wknd for the season.

Lonefisher,
    That kind of post is going to cause me to lose some sleep I am sure!
    Thanks,
    Lloyd