www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The ice is on...

Default The ice is on...

Last night the flowage froze over. There is about one inch of ice. Maybe by the weekend there will be enough to set some tip-ups out.

Just may sure and have a great winter,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Tiny:

As always our hearts go out to those that knew Mark Fort... It sounds great that the ice is finally coming and lets hope the that next round of snow stays south or stays rain so we can build a nice sheet of ice for the upcoming snow season!!! Have a good season and be safe too!!!

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reponse, hope all is safe too. Everything froze up good last night, temps was five this morning. Checked a few spots and nobody has ventured out yet. I would think there will be a few this weekend. We're thinking about taking the spud out and check out front. But its getting to be beer 30, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Catch the big one,

I was out fishing the flats for red fish, trout, and convict fish today. A little sunburnt, but it was in the upper 70s and the fishing was great. I have the greatest fishing life-- FL 8 1/2 months a year and 3 1/2 on the flowage... I feel vary fortunate.

I have done the ice fishing thing years ago in WI, now the only ice while I am fishing is in my glass!

Everyone be safe out there, no fish is worth the risk of life. Good luck guys and gals-- please leave some fish for us summer time folks! :-)

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Ice conditions remain at 1/2" - 2" of ice, but we have some very cold temps predicted for this next week. Some "genious" on a snowmobile decided to venture out from the Springstead Landing on Sat., Dec. 3rd, 2011. Fortunately, there were no injuries or death, but it did tie up emergency personal.

Be safe out there folks. A walleye dinner is not worth your life.

We did have 6"-8" of snow on Saturday night that makes things quite beautiful.

Hey folks.... There's a "sticky" thread on ICE CONDITIONS at the top of this forum.

As Scott said there was only 1 to 2 inches of ice. With the eight inches of snow on top of it cause real bad conditions. You can see open holes in many places. There has to be many holes you can't see. When the wind blows and pushes on the ice you can see water moving up and down. It'll have to get very cold before to be safe.

We were wondering when some nut would be dumb enough to run a snowmobile out there. Wow....

Don't believe in Stickies, they become obsolete. Most sites don't use them, because of that reason.

Please be safe,

Hey Tiny, got a couple walleyes on Saturday up to 18", 2.5" of ice and less. Some was good ice, some bad. I imagine after the snow it will all be bad, at least where we popped our holes. Say hi to Fluffy for me, and tell her the walleyes won't wait till next year for her!

I know this is selfish but it would be really cool if everyone would stay off the slushy stuff til is has a chance to freeze. Did the snowmobile go completely under???

FitzCatF8,

From what I have heard talking to the First Responders, the snowmobile that Scott mentioned actually went thru the ice, but on Randall Lake in Springstead, not the TFF.

He tried to get across the lake and, until he slowed down at the far side of the lake, everything was ok. However, when he slowed down, the sled went thru the ice in shallow water.

The driver ended up wet and cold, but ok.

Our guests are reporting 3"-4" of good ice in Lake Bastine. Walleye action was slow on Dec. 10, 2011, but should improve with the low pressure front moving in tonight. Guide Bobby Orr emailed me that he was finding 6"-8" of ice on the Turtle River region near Sturgeon Bay Landing.
    Last edited by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC; 12-11-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Angry The ice is on...

Looking at the Webcams I am guessing it is raining???

Maybe it will get this iffy weather done early and then we can get out on the lakes!!!

FitzCatF8.

Fitz:

You might be to look at it as snow now...

Mark

Any updates on ice conditions on the TFF? I was hoping to use some time off next week to do a little fishing but have not seen any reports on ice or fishing since 12/12. I searched the forum for some info but didn't seem to find anything recent.

Happy Holidays.

6"-9" for the most part, but use caution in untraveled areas. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Default Ice Conditions

I was out last evening and found a good solid 8 inches of ice along with a good bite between 4 and 4:30 pm. Went home with a 16 and 20 inch eyes. The fish were taken out of 4 feet of water and caught on golden shiners.
    Don Pemble