www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: cracked jet pump!

Default cracked jet pump!

Hey Guys, I somehow got a crack in my jet pump. (I haven't hit anything lately) Does anyone know if I can have it welded? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

I have had my share of intake shoes welded with not problems in performance but I am just not sure about the pump housing.......I would think it could be welded but if the inside of the weld is not smooth, there could be a loss in performance. It also depends where the crack is and if the impeller sleeve is damaged as well.

Just my .02 cents.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Yes it can be tig welded. Fully dissemble it . Check to make sure all mating surfaces are flat (lap if needed) and also check bores for concentricity after weld. If any components are left in tacked make sure your welder uses a heat sink to protect them.

I had a large crack on the "front upper side" of the pump housing a few years back. I noticed it in the spring and assumed water left in the housing froze and caused the crack over winter. I took it to a welder I know and he sealed it up with no problems. That was 4 years ago and I still use the motor regularly with no issues. I'll try to dig up his contact info. He is a retired Commercial Airliner Welder. He specializes in aluminum welding and were the crack happened on my motor was aluminum.

Any news on the jet pump?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com