www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Night Fishing on the Chip?

Default Night Fishing on the Chip?

Hey guys, the first week of our annual musky trip starts next week on the Chip at Deerfoot Lodge. We have had success in past years, but looking forward to trying new techniques. So I have a few questions, any info/tips would be appreciated. The fish we have boated in the past have been from "classic structure" on topwaters/bucktails/jerkbaits. We are looking for more ways to put bigger fish in the net.

Anyone had much success on the Chip by........
    1) night fishing ?
    2) fishing deeper structures (like cribs) during midday by counting down dawgs/cranks?
    3) throwing larger lures like supermodel cowgirls and pounders?

Thanks for the help,
    Jonathan Arndt

I would say yes

Personally, I'd think option 1 would be the choice to make, night time. Figure out the classic spots the first day or two, then take the day time presentations deep into the night and morning. I have no concrete basis for this suggestion, but it seems other fisheries show success during the dark. I'd give it a try, but I'm not nocturnal. Good luck !

cannot imagine not night fishing on the Chip, pacemakers are great, they draw strikes that will have your knees shaking and they don't get weeded up. Have also had some good action on the hawg wobblers. Bring some mosquito repellant though, they are thick this year, sounds like a swarm of two stroke motors coming at you as the sun goes down. Lather up at the cabin and wash your hands well, the fish don't like the taste and the chemicals will dissolve some finishes, not sure what it can do to a braided line and don't want to take a chance. Hmm, would be something to try with a scrap of line and see what happens. Have gotten bats caught in my line and know of two who have had owls try and catch their lures. A dark night is the best, no moon or heavy overcaste and work the lures slowly, when the hit happens, you will know by Ty calls his lure a pacemaker. Dean

Fished many years at night and this can be a great surface bait bite. Pacemaker style baits, globes and hawg wobblers are good baits with fairly good hookups. Creepers are great to raise fish but are notorious bad hookers. Also try early mornings as I have had some big ones then. Don't give up on the day fishing just watch your weather conditions; I have also had luck right at noon when every one else is in for lunch. When water is hot fishing can be tough but sometimes fish go real shallow in the thick weeds.

I've only seen a couple of times when the fish are active out deep. There have been a lot of people that have tried to target deep fish but have not done well. The night fishing can be good on some years. Throwing larger baits can be counterproductive on the Chip but there are times when that is what it takes. Hard to say when but if they are going on big baits you'll be one of the only ones doing it.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com