www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Reels c4

Default Reels c4

Looking for a durable reel for larger sized jerkbaits. I seem to have no luck with my c4. It continues to break and give me headaches. From things that abu garcia could not fix to the handle always being loose. At this point, cost is not the issue. I was thinking about the revo toro or calcutta? Are these power handles worth trying?

I also have had bad luck with Abu C4s and similar reels from them. Every one I have ever owned has broke within 1 season. I have a Revo Toro and like the reel very much. However, the first one I bought, broke the first day I used it. The replacement has held up well for a couple seasons now, but i don't cast very much.

You cannot go wrong with a Shimano. We use a couple Shimano casting reels, including a Calcutta that my dad has used for 10+yrs. I would buy a Calcutta if price is not an option and you want a quality reel that will last a long time. Only possible drawbacks to a Calcutta are the big round reel size and gear ratio.

[QUOTE=Ivan;73956]I also have had bad luck with Abu C4s and similar reels from them. Every one I have ever owned has broke within 1 season.QUOTE]

At least yours lasted a season. The only AG reels I will buy again are the low profile Revos. They have been very good to me. I don't even use the toro. I can put just enough 80# braid on the regular spools and they cast very far with little effort.

I've been using the Revo Toro for 2 seasons now and its starting to break down. I think if you're casting larger jerkbaits, any reel you buy is going to break down except for the Calcutta. My buddy had a Calcutta and it seems indestructable, but it is big and slow. Its hard to properly work larger jerkbaits with that Calcutta. I would buy the Revo Toro and plan on replacing it in 2 years.

Thankyou for the help, the other great thing about the c4 is that it seems to fall apart as soon as i get a follow. The fish dont seem to like when parts of the metal from the reel fall in the water

Well thats atleast my excuse for not catching a fish

I've been using a red 7000 for the last 2 seasons and haven't had a single issue with it. I own 6 Abus', none of which are the newer models, and have never had any trouble with them?? I'm on the water, on average, 2 days a week, so it doesn't get babied at all. It's probably been wiped down twice in those 2 years... I got it used for $80, already spooled w/ 80# braid, and have put the money I've saved towards my NY license the last 2 years.

I switched from the C4 about 3yrs ago to the Okuma Red Isis. That real has treated me very well (knock on wood) so far. Its on an 8'6" Okuma rod and I've thrown everything with it so far. The big blades are tough with it and I ended up getting a Winch for those. I also have heard good things about a newer model that Okuma has come out with recently too but have no experience with it. I do have to say, my conventional gear has not been used as much over the last year or so since I use the flyrods quite a bit too. However, I'd buy another Okuma today if I was lookin.

Jay

Used C3 for four years now. Definately had time on water and doing fine. Possible difference is 5.3:1 ratio v. C4's 6.4:1 ratio. Musky Hunter had an article in 2008 about cowgirls and a lower gear ratio for bringing them in without destroying the reel. Never used an Okuma so maybe they have high ratio reels that last better than Abu's. I also added the power handle which shouldn't translate to durabality but seems to help me pick up line faster than the paddle handle.

I love my 6500 c 3s. I had 2 Calcuttas and both lasted less then a month. The drag wont not tighten all the way down. I think they are over rated and priced. just my 2 cents...

I would spend the money and get the Calcutta TE and save the headache of having to buy two or three cheap reels that you have to keep fixing. From the factory, I didn't think it was smooth as it could be, but I sent it out to a guy in Illinois and he upgraded a few things and re greased it and wow, great real. If you are on a budget, I have a pete mania bass pro reel and a pflueger trion 66 that I have beaten the crap out of for years and they are still going strong. Whatever reel you decide, if you are ripping rubber or cranks, use your thumb to save the anti reverse bearings.