www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Finally!

Default Finally!

After spending over 20 years away from the flowage I went back for a week in August of 2009 and another in August of 2010. I saw action both weeks but did not get a musky in the boat. Business recently brought me within an hour away so I squeezed in a day and a half and finally got a 37 incher in the boat. I fish alone and in 2009 I rushed my net job and let up a little pressure on a still hot fish when I reached for the net too soon. It was enough for the fish to get off. A few years before that I lost a nice one on Lake of the Woods fishing with a friend whose net was far too small. The fish didn't fit well and a hook got caught on the outside of the net. This time I was patient and the big frabill got the job done. Plus, as I rarely handle muskies the big net allowed me to keep the fish in the water, settle down, get my tools and have a seamless release. After catching plenty of smallmouth to 20" and nice pike up to 36" I really did find it true that even a very average sized musky felt like a special trophy. Hopefully I can keep my plans for another August trip and get another. I know this is not an unusual catch but for a guy who lives and works far from the northwoods, it's pretty great.

Default Congrats

Good Job on your musky, every one is special, and they don't often jump into the boat, that's what makes it such a great trophy.

JohnMG:

Congrats!!! Sounds like you had a great spring day and half!!!

Mark

Thanks Mark. Just to clarify I didn't get the nice smallmouth and pike on that trip. They were just my best for those species. I was using a 5" swim bait on a jig head though as a long cast search bait before throwing bucktails at each spot and that's what I got the 37 incher on and a 19" largemouth and some small pike. I like the multi-species potential of swim baits and on fireline and with just a single hook they quicly lets me sense depth and weed growth on a spot. I really appreciate the kind words guys.

Great to hear you broke the net in on the Chip. Sounds like you appreciate the good things in life. Congrats and maybe the next trip will be the big one.

Thanks for posting the story. Good luck,
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com