www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Trolling Video Clips

Good video. I'm still green to Muskie fishing. When I cast and retrieve I use a short 18'' Flouro leader. I rarely troll but I see that 99% of the guys are using long leaders as they say the Muskie will roll up the leader as I understand. Way don't guys use a longer leader for casting ? Is it because it won't go through the rod eyes ? Do you really have to use a long leader for trolling? When I get tired of throwing heavy bait sometimes I'll troll without changing over to a long leader because I'm lazy and don't want to tie one on. Should I ?

The longer leaders are used for trolling for 2 reasons.

The first, like you mentioned, is in case the fish rolls. The line can get wrapped near the gill plate (or in their mouth) and cut the line.

The second reason, is due to the angle of the line when trolling. Often times, when trolling somewhat deep, your line may contact the strucure (sharp drops/ledges) before the lure does.

Using these long leaders for casting makes it near impossible to figure 8 with most lures.

Tony

In addition to the other reasons just mentioned, I like the longer flouro leader for the extra stretch it provides. I think it really helps in netting those short strikers even though we missed/lost about 11-12 fish this Spring trolling in that crazy arse weather we had.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com