www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: East Branch Tigers

Default East Branch Tigers

Can anyone tell me when the water level is usualy up high enough to use the boat launch at East Branch? I have always wanted to try for the tiger muskies there in the spring.I was hopeing by the end of April there is access.

Capt. Larry
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

Not sure if your aware of this but there is a problem with the dam and they are keeping the water level down because of some leak/soft spot. Like 20+ feet below normal level so most all the bays are high and dry with very little shallows areas left. You should be able to search it and find the info.
    I can be launch and fishing in 20 minutes there, last muskie I got there was in 2005......For the drive there is better places to go for sure. I'll drive before I'll waste a day there.
    Last season I spent a good amount of time there thinking it should be easier now.......easy for the muskies I guess if there is any left?? Nothing to show for it.

Default Other Options

Frank,Thanks,I did not know about the dam leak.Guess I'll just head for either Alum Creek or Saltfork for regular muskies in early april.I always wanted to try East Branch for tiger muskies.I know from talking with others that its always been a tough bite there,but I still wanted to try,I like those deep water lakes.

Capt. Larry
    Captain Larry Jones

I live a couple miles away from the Instanter Launch (Elk State Park) I will keep East Branch information updated if anyone is interested. I went to the main Launch this past Sunday, I think the water level is up from the fall. How much is hard to say. The Lake is still iced over at this time.

I have not caught a Musky yet but I am trying hard. LOL I seen a kyaker at the end of last year get his line stripped off by one while reelling in a Smallie.

Scared the crap out of him.

I Called the office this morning, both boat launches are to open this Friday. Water level is at what they call Summer Pool, which I think is lower than past years due to repairs they will be doing. There was a meeting this morning on this. I could not go due to work.

Default East Branch Launches

Are the launches at East Branch useable, is there enough water to launch?

Capt. Larry
    Captain Larry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jones View Post
    Are the launches at East Branch useable, is there enough water to launch?

Capt. Larry
    Yes both Launches are usable. The water level is above the "New Summer Pool". The road into the Instanter Launch is a little rough, due to all the rain.

Starting next summer the road going into the main entrance, will be redone, to handle the heavy equipment needed to repair the dam.

Completion of the dam repair is forcasted to be 2017.

There is a meeting about East Branch with the Army Corp of Engineers tommorow night Wednesday April 27 at 7pm at the Johnsonburg Area High School. I will be attending and post results here for anyone who may be interested.

Default Meeting Info

Any Info from the meeting?
    Captain Larry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jones View Post
    Any Info from the meeting?
    Yes, The information is pretty much what I posted before.

A year to widen the entrace road into the Dam, they are going to make it about 4 feet wider

They have the new summer pool level acheived which is about 22 feet below normal.

I wish I knew the effect of the new pool levels for fishing, but I do not.

All I know is I have been there a couple times now, and have not seen a fish.

Default Update

Well, been to the East Branch a couple times now, I honestly do not know where the fish are. I remember in the past this body of water being tough, but the past two years has me wondering what is going on.