www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Susky Musky

Default Susky Musky

A friend of mine netted this fish last week sometime. He is a pro walleye fisherman and owns the PA state record sauger. My guess is that he was chasing walleye and stumbled onto this little (50 inches/38 pounds) piggy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waltzmusky.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	12791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waltzmusky2.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	12792  
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

He killed it?

It appears so. I did not get the photo from him. The photo was sent to me from someone in the PFBC.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    It appears so. I did not get the photo from him. The photo was sent to me from someone in the PFBC.
    I think I am going to be ill.

I've been a catch and release guy for years, it would drive me crazy if i had to end that monsters life. Big girl like that needs to be out there making more toothy babies. Maybe he tried to release it........

Great looking colors and stripes on that fish. The guy did nothing illegal by taking the fish.

As it said he is a walleye guy not a musky fisherman. Every Musky guy I know would have put that fish back unless it couldn't be revived. Most walleye guys keep some of their catch.

Quote Originally Posted by allegheny river kid View Post
    Great looking colors and stripes on that fish. The guy did nothing illegal by taking the fish.
    No he didn't do anything illegal...it was completely legal...and it still makes me ill. Musky's that size are as old as you...maybe older...and can't be replaced like walleye or bass can.

That being said, maybe he did try and release it but because of how it was hooked he couldn't, or maybe he just didn't know any better.

It still makes me ill that a fish like that was harvested, because it hurts the overall fishery.

Default whining

Would some of you guys please quit whining! This guy catches a fish of a lifetime and not only is he entitled to keep the fish, he should be commended on his awesome catch! Nor do you know the whole story behind the catch, but qick to jump to conclusions. And it has NO matter what species the guy targets most...he sure does NOT deserve to be chastized. I've been at this for over 20 years and I remember days when nearly all the legal fish caught were bonked over the head....we have come a long way! Among the muskie anglers in this country, I'd bet there is a catch and release rate of near 95%....what more do you want? Are you asking for extremism?? Because thats what it looks like and that attitude is unecessary. That attitude will eventually create divide among muskie anglers as it has among anglers of various species alike. I sure as H3LL hope this sport doesn't turn into the elitist/extremist sport that trout/fly fishing has become....I'd never quit, I love it too much, but it sure might drive me to puke. I don't like where the sport is going in regards to conservation....there is a fine line between conservation/preservation and extremism/fanaticism and that line is being crossed IMO.

Get over it and do what YOU want to do with the trophy YOU catch...Don't go around riding others for their achievements and accomplishments.

Please give my congrats to your friend for his "fish of a lifetime" catch Red. That fish will look beautiful on his wall!

-Paul Fec

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpNFish View Post
    Would you guys please quit whining! This guy catches a fish of a lifetime and not only is he entitled to keep the fish, he should be commended on his awesome catch! Nor do you know the whole story behind the catch, but qick to jump to conclusions. And it has NO matter what species the guy targets most...he sure does NOT deserve to be chastized. I've been at this for over 20 years and I remember days when nearly all the legal fish caught were bonked over the head....we have come a long way! Among the muskie anglers in this country, I'd bet there is a catch and release rate of near 95%....what more do you want? Are you asking for extremism?? Because thats what it looks like and that attitude is unecessary. That attitude will eventually create divide among muskie anglers as it has among anglers of various species alike. I sure as H3LL hope this sport doesn't turn into the elitist/extremist sport that trout/fly fishing has become....I'd never quit, I love it too much, but it sure might drive me to puke. I don't like where the sport is going in regards to conservation....there is a fine line between conservation/preservation and extremism/fanaticism and that line is being crossed IMO.

Get over it and do what YOU want to do with the trophy YOU catch...Don't go around riding others for their achievements and accomplishments.

Please give my congrats to your friend for his "fish of a lifetime" catch Red. That fish will look beautiful on his wall!

-Paul Fec
    I wasn't commenting on him having the right to keep a fish, or the fact that he kept it other than to say it makes me ill any time a fish like that dies at the hands of an anger.

I am certainly not "holier than thou". If a person wants to keep a fish they legally caught more power too them, it doesn't mean I have to stand up and jump for joy that they took a fish like that out of the breeding population.

If I had my drothers I would have a slot limit, 1 fish betwen 25 and 40 inches or whatever, to keep. Anything over or under and back it goes. But that is me. And I did let my fish of a lifetime go, of course Red would have knocked me over the had I not done so.

I had a feeling that this thread might go in this direction. I believe its as simple as a "to each their own" situation. Congrats on a spectacular trophy of a catch to the angler. I just hope this topic doesn't turn into some of the "discussions" that happen (a lot) on some of those "other" sites!!

Man, I just need some open water!!!!!!!

Default Ftr

For the record....My post was not directed to any one person in general. It was directed to those with a specific attitude/affinity toward the whole idea of C&R or dead fish. Although some may be offended by my words, please try to do your best to avoid being a target.

How about this weather huh? 6+ inches more just last night Grrrrrrrrrr!

Have a nice day.

P. Fec

LOL Its a debate that will probably outlast all of us who currently visit this board.

We just got around 10" of snow here on Sunday!! I think someone needs to set that blasted groundhog straight! Although, the rain did a pretty good job of taking care of most of the snow.

I think it's pretty apparent the divide has already been created, if it happens in other fishing what makes anyone think musky fishing would be any different?

It happens in every aspect of hobby, and every part of society. It all has to do with people doing things differently, and the way they feel that resources should be managed. The bottom line is none of us do the managing of it... So having an open mind on how it should or shouldn't be done is the most logical approach, not forcing your opinion on someone else. Cause frankly, lots of people will think your opinion sucks, either way.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpNFish View Post
    For the record....My post was not directed to any one person in general. It was directed to those with a specific attitude/affinity toward the whole idea of C&R or dead fish. Although some may be offended by my words, please try to do your best to avoid being a target.

How about this weather huh? 6+ inches more just last night Grrrrrrrrrr!

Have a nice day.

P. Fec
    Do my best to avoid being a target? I am not the idiot shouting at people; that would be YOU.

I made a simple statement about hating to see a fish like that killed. I made no inference as to whether he should or shouldn't have. YOU made an assumption that I was saying people shouldn't be allowed to keep fish, or that it was wrong to do so.

Maybe YOU should practice your screen name, and let others of us have an opinon too? Hmmm?? Before you end up ruining another fishing board?

People on the other board may have taken your BS, but I am not about to.

Your statement on other people shouldn't make themselves a target of your rants is one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Grow up.

Keep your fish, or don't I could care less, but when you come on a board and try and shout someone down, based on your own assumption, well that gets me ticked. Especially when you have harrassed other people on other boards.

SHUT UP AND FISH.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauts View Post
    Do my best to avoid being a target? I am not the idiot shouting at people; that would be YOU.

I made a simple statement about hating to see a fish like that killed. I made no inference as to whether he should or shouldn't have. YOU made an assumption that I was saying people shouldn't be allowed to keep fish, or that it was wrong to do so.

Maybe YOU should practice your screen name, and let others of us have an opinon too? Hmmm?? Before you end up ruining another fishing board?

People on the other board may have taken your BS, but I am not about to.

Your statement on other people shouldn't make themselves a target of your rants is one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Grow up.

Keep your fish, or don't I could care less, but when you come on a board and try and shout someone down, based on your own assumption, well that gets me ticked. Especially when you have harrassed other people on other boards.

SHUT UP AND FISH.
    Again, I was not trying to target anyone in particular, you included. I'm sorry if what I said drove you to name calling and obvious anger. You have your opinion and I have mine and thats what we are entitled to right? However, if you really care less if anyone keeps or releases their fish, why did you make a comment that it made you ill that the fish was dead? Insinuations certainly could be made by that one statement.

Finally, can you please enlighten me on what "other" fishing board I have ruined? I'll grow up when you lighten up.

Guys, guys, guys.......easy!

When I first saw this I decided the ole' "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" quote. Which was wrong!

We don't know if he tried to release it or not? We don't know if he just wanted to keep and has every right too.

All we can do is preach and teach to other anglers that don't know how old that fish is and how little natural reproduction there is (if any) How long it will take to replace that fish etc, etc, etc, etc.......
    Teach the proper release techiques and tools to have and how to use the.
    Explain the replicia deal being the same money and all is needed is a picture, I think a lot of people are unaware of this.
    In the end he may have just been alone, without a camera, it's his biggest ever and he plans on mounting it and it was going to go home no matter what! He has every right to that. Hopefully he will be happy with that, after paying the taxidermy cost and knowing he already has a big muskie mounted he'll release the next one.

Congrats to the angler, hope to see all his photos after this at boatside!
    Nice fish!

No sense in pounding at each other on here, what's done is done, and most of all we don't know the story.

Another thing we all need to remember......a 30" swims off like a rocket!
    The bigger the fish, the harder they are to release! Battle it for too long on walleye gear....maybe he thought it be better on his wall than turtle food.

What section of the susky ?

This is just a guess but since he lives in the Williamsport area, I am guessing she came from somewhere around there.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

not looking to fish it just want to know if its the one i been on for the last 2 years . so i can move on email me if you can find out tomlong110@comcast.net

Hey Tom..........I did not know it was you until I saw your email address. I hope things are going well with you out there.

If I find something out, I will contact you. I seriously doubt I will purposely contact him to find out where he was fishing cuz I bet he was on one of his favorite walleye spots hunting a pre-spawn piggie just before the season ends. I can envision an uncomfortable "pause" on the phone if I were to ask him exactly where he was fishing.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

no problem redd i thought someone knew the guy . no need to call i fish that strech and been on ahog just hoping its not same hole . theirs a few more up tere