www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: My (ugly) report

Default My (ugly) report

I'm still learning the bay and missing more than hitting, but what the heck I'll share my meager reports anyway.

Went out from the first yellow gate today in the general vicinity of center reef in 29 fow. Caught a nice perch first dunk down the hole on a #00 Moonshine "blue clown"...a few more dinks on wigglers. Decided to move a bit south. Bad move. Didn't mark any fish, and as my auger was giving me some grief I didn't move from there.

Anyhoo. That's my report and I'm sticking to it!

I do want to give a shout out to Chris. It's always part of a good day when I can stop in the shop and get some quality bait (with generous counts!) from him. Thanks, Chris!

Thought I would chime in. If your looking for center reef, line up the senior tower with the point at the narrows that will put you dead center on the reef. Should be a reading in the 22ft. range

Glad to help out in some small part. If the fishing keeps up like that for you, maybe you'd better start buying half dozens of minnows
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

It's always part of a good day when I can stop in the shop and get some quality bait (with generous counts!) from him. Thanks, Chris!

Agreed! Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Bait Shop Guy View Post
    Glad to help out in some small part. If the fishing keeps up like that for you, maybe you'd better start buying half dozens of minnows
    Lol...better to have too much bait than not enough! Just about the time I start skimping on bait is the very day the bite goes crazy and I'm out in the middle of bay holding nothing but an empty hook.

Doh!

Besides, I have no problem supporting the local bait shop.

I've added the perch to the 7 I caught last week...one more mediocre trip and I'm going to be having a fine perch meal (finally)!

Swing by the shop tomorrow and I'll give you the 4 smelt I caught off the Escanaba harbor tonight.

They're there, but nothing like the "good old days." Gold Hali jig tipped with a single spike in 46 FOW. Tried off the Municipal Dock Monday night at about the same depth. Ended up with 2 smelt and a 20 inch walleye on the same Hali jig and maggot. There just ain't no figuring out these walleyes!
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

I actually have a bunch of gills in the freezer from an earlier excursion out to Gene's--but I'm just holding out for some more perch before I turn on the deep fryer

I marked a big ball of bait when I was getting set up the other day...probably smelt.

Two nice jumbo perch and a really nice crappie today--I now have enough for LBDN fish fry!!

Started out in 21 feet of water near second reef...moved to the east bank area in 34 feet of water. Consistently marked fish (bottom huggers, all) near the east bank but few takers (and I threw everything in the my tackle box at them and the proverbial kitchen sink). A small gold Swedish Pimple topped with minnows took all three fish (full minnow on the crappie, minnow heads on the perch).