www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: the pains of winter fishing.....

Default the pains of winter fishing.....

hit the river today lookin for some toothy critters and it's was not the least bit fun no fish no follows or nothing and every thing was frozen in no time, anyone else ever have problems with the trolling motor freezing up?

Welcome to hardcore winter fishing.

Buy some Reel Majic and spray it on everything. Shake excess water off your trolling motor before stowing it. Hold your urine (or take hot water/coffee) during the day cuz it might come in handy for unfreezing the trolling motor when conditions are really cold. Seriously.

I bet a DC adapted hair dryer would be excellent but I have never tried to hunt one down before.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Heck yea! I carry a torch with me to thaw it and my water line on the jet! I hate when the boat freezes to the trailor too!

Brian

I was out yesterday myself.

Told my partner that any fish would be a water pic only!!! Too cold to pull them out of the water. Flash freeze gills when it's that cold and windy.
    But........we never had any fish to worry about.

We only lasted until a little after 1pm and couldn't take it anymore. That was when the wind kicked up the most.
    We broke ice where where we were fishing and the wind was in our favor and it got pushed out in the current and was swept away down river.

Brutal day to be out.
    Were did you launch from? Never saw anyone else out.

I launched from the starbrick boat launch and headed up stream...

those are some great ideas lol i'l remember them also anyone know of a jet boat for sale i'm in the market. I'd like to get one before the snow melts.

We were there from about 9am to 1pm on sunday.
    If you were there sunday after we left your welcome for us shoveling the launch.

If you were there saturday isn't the last guy there suppose to shovel the following day for the next guy even if the snow came overnight???

HA HA!!!!

I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading mine.
    25/20 johnson with a lowe 1448, just not sure if I want to spend the $$ on a new boat. I really like my boat setup but would like to upgrade the motor to a larger one so I can get around faster. It does okay but being able to go over 40mph it's painful going slower....he he!!

So maybe would part with the motor? Haven't really given it much serious thought other than wanting the go faster, maybe I need a little push.

Not sure what your looking for, let me know if your at all interested in what I got.

I hate to part with that motor, it starts on the 2nd pull no matter how darn cold it is, it runs super in the winter.
    Last edited by toothyfishman; 01-10-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Adding too.

I wonder if Doug Lindsey still has his rig for sale? His package is listed on here somewhere....
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

One day I spent about half an hour thawing things out only to back the boat in without the plug in! duh! Not a good way to start the day off! I have kept my local boat ramp clear and Ice free for the last couple of weeks! I just can't bring myself to go out in this freezing cold weather! Its a B!@#$ to get old! LOL!

Brian

I probably just missed you guys there was fresh tracks when i got there, sometimes we take the snowblower down there and do the launch but I haven't had much time to fish lately, and Red were talking about that ranger? I would like to get ahold of that rig.

Quote Originally Posted by toothyfishman View Post
    I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading mine.
    25/20 johnson with a lowe 1448, just not sure if I want to spend the $$ on a new boat. I really like my boat setup but would like to upgrade the motor to a larger one so I can get around faster. It does okay but being able to go over 40mph it's painful going slower....he he!!

So maybe would part with the motor? Haven't really given it much serious thought other than wanting the go faster, maybe I need a little push.

Not sure what your looking for, let me know if your at all interested in what I got.

I hate to part with that motor, it starts on the 2nd pull no matter how darn cold it is, it runs super in the winter.
    I think we have the same dilema I have a 14 ft boat now and I want something bigger and faster!

I feel for you guys out in the boats this time of year. I freeze my butt off from shore and am always thinking of the very few hearty souls out there on the river. In the last month i have been out at least half that time trying to hit the fronts, fronts settled in, moon rises, good bait to no avail. No eyes and no esox. I don't get it and it's been VERY frustrating !!!!! Got called back to work so my fishing will be just on weekends unless the river is frozen.

Rap. I can relate, my winter has been full of many days with nothing. But every 4-5 trip i have a super day. Keep beating the water they are in there.