www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: June Crappie

Talking June Crappie

Just read the DNR lake survey and noticed that crappie numbers are non exsistant for june. I am coming up in the first week of june 2011 and most of us are after walleye but have 3 guys that love to crappie fish. Not a good time of year for crappie or no one fishes for them then? We are staying at the Hideaway June 4 thru the 11. Never been to the flowage before but can't wait for june to come. Bought a new Lund Alaskan in Sept and have had it out four times before winter hit hard in Illinois. Have to wait until June for TFF due to some of the guys kids have school committments before then. Any help appreciated see you in june

Smile june crappie

are you aware that theres a 10 fish bag limit! Also minimum length for crappie is 10 inches.Better off going for walleye or the great smallie action.As always enjoy the great canada like scenery.Enjoy this wonderful wisconsin resource!!!!!

Default tff

I cannot offer advice on the crappie front because I do not target them but wish I did at times. Action for walleyes that time of year can be frustrating and it seems weather conditions or changing weather is a big factor. Just be cautious especially with a new boat. Every lake map for the flowage cannot possibly show all the stumps/rock bars/sand bars so a map is something great to have on you for reference but absolutely do not rely on it for safe travel. I very well maybe camping on the water the same time frame. Good luck and enjoy!

Default Mayflies

Just want to warn you about the yearly Mayfly hatch. It usually hits around June 10th or so and it can do a number on the fishing. I think about 14 gazillion mayflies hatch in just a couple of days. About 4 years ago we hit the hatch on day 1. The fishing was really tough for the entire 4 days we were there. We did catch fish, but nothing like years without hitting the hatch. We always fish until after dark and the surface was solid yellow on the way in every night.

Made me wonder how we caught anything with all that food in the water.

No matter when you go, you'll love the place. The TFF is awesome. Have a great time, but as mentioned earlier, be careful. I've been fishing the TFF since 1960, and there are many places I still have my 40 trimmed up and take it slow, just because. My brother-in-law has been fishing it since the mid 80's and has lost 2 boats due to hitting logs. The 2nd time, the boat would have sunk as he was taking on serious water.

Default re: mayflies

not related to the crappie post, but one year during the mayfly hatch i took my daughter out fishing, i was casting jig and half a crawler, i tied a mayfly fly on her rod under a slip bobber. she pulled in a 5 lb walleye.....stupid fish. he he he.

Check with Don Pemble and the resort owners.

The crappie should be spawning at this time. I know they like emergent vegetation with hard bottom, but that only cuts it down to about 3,000 acres on the flowage, and they are also fully capable of spawning on rock. My guess, if they can find a bed or two, they can cash in, but my thinking is, unless they can get some insider info, they are going to have to cover a LOT of water. Huge task, but side benefits might be shallow smallmouth, and bedding bluegills. If they are post spawn the crappies will probably be non existant, since I would expect them to suspend before relocating in timber and on cribs.

Probably good rewards if you can find the fish, but if I was attempting it blind, I would have a plan B.

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard about the dangers of boating on the TFF and plan on taking it slow I am in no hurry. Hopefully the mayflies come after we leave. I would prefer to be there in May but guys coming with us still have kids in school with committments. Walleye is what I'm after smallmouth would be alright also. Hear that the northerns ar small but might only give them a try if slow on walleye. Any thoughts on the Hideaway?

Hideaway is a good place. Great food, drinks and good prices.

The hard part about covering alot of water looking for crappies is the relatively stained water.. It's near impossible to sight fish, depending on the conditions..

Best bet would be to find reeds/weeds, try it for half hour, and keep moving..

Thumbs up Hideaway Recommendations

Make sure that you don't leave the Hideaway without trying one of their pizzas (Best pizza in the Northwoods...IMO) and a mushroom burger...the homemade chips and salsa are very good also! My wife and I go there for dinner every time that we come up, and have always had great meals...and the owners/staff are very nice people.