www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Have you ever seen one of these?

Default Have you ever seen one of these?

This duck was in downtown Warren in late-August. It is popular in China and I have no idea how it got to Pennsylvania. Cool looking bird.

Sorry about the non-fishing thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandarin.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	12263  
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Beautiful colors on that duck!
    While we're off subject, Red, you had asked me once if I had ever saw a Fisher and I had not. I didn't think about that again until today when I read in the Trib that this is the first year for an open season on fishers in certain "zones" of western pennsylvania. Like I said, I have not seen one, but after reading about their habitat, I'm not suprised. They like heavily forested areas with a lot of conifers. Contrary to their name, they rarely eat fish. They do, however, hunt porcupines. Given that, I'm sure some of you guys up north with the big woods and porcupines have had to seen these creatures. I only know of one being trapped down this way. It was killing the chickens of a friend and he had no idea what was doing it until he trapped it.
    Very interesting creature. I think one would make a very nice mount
    I know a lot of you guys hunt... anybody planning on goin' after a fisher??

Default Thank the good ol' pgc!

The fisher was trapped out of Pennsylvania because of it's awesome winter coat. They are the only known predator of the porcupine which is why the pgc brought them back in to PA. Only problem is the also are very tough on the wild turkey, grouse and other native game birds. Sounds kinda familiar to all you coyote lovers? I encourage EVERY person who has a fur bearer permit to go get a tag and help control this monster of the weasel family. And they do make an amazing mount, or hide! P.S. if you're having trouble finding a place to trap one, try forest road 437. Chapman Dam, 59 game lands Oh and come trap the crew that lives behind my house on fox hill!!

It sort of reminds me of a wood duck even though I know it's not. Could it be possable that they are related? Either way it is a beautiful bird!

I did a little looking on the web. I think I found it. I believe it's called a Mandarin Duck.

Correct and congrats.....you are the winner of the 'waterfowl' Final Jeopardy question.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

A very very beautiful bird !! I too am very curious how it managed to inhabit these parts.

After a quick read it's an endangered species. Some more info for those interested...http://www.avianweb.com/mandarinduck.html Nothing like looking at natures great wonders and beauty. Thx

I cheated and just read the title of the picture file. Lol!!

Just read the link...........very interesting. Thanks for the info.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Bad thing about that duck is it does look so much like a Woodie that it would get whacked in a fly by any duck hunter. Endangered or not.

That little guy should think about a differnet paint job if he's going to play the "I'm endangered species card"..... Maybe firetiger so he stands out a little better.

Pretty.