www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Gloves

Default Gloves

What are the best gloves that aren't too bulky?

When someone finds that one i would also like to know.

I normal take several pairs with me, and through process of elimation find the pair thats best for that day. Thats a tough one.

Default gloves

I fish in super cold weather and the best I've ever worn are the fingerless wool pullover mittens. Even when they get wet they're very warm. Swansons Barn on Davey Hill road in Pittsfield PA carries them. They're pricey but worth it!

Also while working in Alaska I talked with some gents from Scottland (wet and cold all year) They shared a secret with me that's cheap and simple. light weight Army/Navy surplus green wool gloves with extra large surgical gloves over top. They use fly rods ALL the time and can still tie blood knots with them on!! Hope this helps!

the surgical gloves trick is awesome, I use it working alot, I found some good rocky gloves at tall tales last year waterproof insulated but there not bulky they form to your hand really well putting em back on with wet hands is a pain though.

Last year I asked a similar question about winter gear in general and someone recommended the Ragg Wool gloves from Cabelas. They had the little black grippy nubs on the palms and fingers. I could not find them online, but I know they have them in the store in wheeling because I picked up a pair about a month ago. I used them last year and liked them very much. I had no issues working the full-size round reel. The low profile reel was a little harder to work, but not too bad. They lasted me about ten outings before they started to wear out. Not fair assessment though because I liked them so much I wore them shoveling snow and the salt ate right through them.

If you're not into wool, these look really nice for those days above 30 degrees. I have the coldgear base layer and they're mighty toasty.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth..._SEQ_103999680

The military issued wool gloves work best for me up until December (when casting) then I switch over to the Cabela's Thinsulate deerskin palm wool gloves and keep on casting. Trolling wise, the chemical handwarmer gig has been pretty good.

I picked up a few pairs of XL surgical gloves on eBay last week from a dentist to try out. My plan is to put a layer of military wool gloves on first (size 5), then the surgical gloves, then a size 6 then a size 7 wool glove. I did a test run last week and by having the wool against my skin, it really helped in removing the surgical glove that is on top of it. Slides off pretty easily and can put it back on without having to pull the surgical glove over the wool glove again. As the outer layers of wool become wet, I will just change them over with dry ones.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I guess wool is the fabric of choice. Has anyone tried neoprene?

Neoprenes stink when temps are lower than 45, IMO.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

As you can see everyone uses different gloves so you will have to try some out and see what works for you. I don't think they were mentioned so the two gloves that I have used are seal skinz and glacier glove. The sealskinz are like those black "stretchy" gloves that girls always wear (makes you want to use them right lol). They are waterproof and will keep your hands dry but the outer layer holds moisture. I found this to be a problem on cold days. I have 2 different sizes and wearing 2 pair can help with that but when it gets somewhere around mid 30's I usually wear the glacier glove which is warmer.

The SealSkinz worked pretty well in moderately cold weather but I kept wearing holes in the thumb from thumbing the spool. I bought a size larger and layered a pair of wool gloves underneath them....worked pretty well until the thumbs wore out.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress