www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Plasti-Dip Products

Default Plasti-Dip Products

Have any of you guys used this product or something similar to it to coat metal parts on your boat or tools? I picked this one because it's available at my Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'm looking for something to coat the "fingers" on my salty rod holders. I went cheap-o and installed the galvanized ones. They work fine, but when I'm cruising over 20 mph the "fingers" chatter together making a high pitched tinny sound that drives me nuts. I thought if I dipped them in a coating like this, it would at least dull the sound.

Normally I would just remove the holders when I'm not trolling, but I also use them to hold my backup rods upright when I'm fishing from the bow.

Mine did the same thing and I have the powder coated ones. 2 things worked for me. Pull a little bungy cord through them and fasten or try rotating them in different positions while on plane. This just might save you some money and hassle.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

The plasti dip stuff works OK. I have done the same thing to my salty rod holders, only i did it to protect my reels/rods. I have worn through it. It did work for a little bit, i bought some heavy electrical tape thick stuff and wrapped them. Does the same thing only once you cut the tape you can use them, not having to wait till it dries.

Cool... thanks guys.
    Maybe I'll just take some Elec. tape out with me on the water and try a few different things. I may try to run a strip along where the two pieces come together so that they don't come 100% together. Then maybe they won't chatter.
    Red,
    Is that what you did with the bungees? Did you run one cord through two holders so that they opened up slightly?

Yep, ran the cord thru both holders for a while then just found the sweet spot for each holder and now I need nothing at all.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

The tape at least for my use still wears at about the same time as the plastidip, but the cost (next to nothing) and quickness of the rework is well worth me being happy with the job the tape does.