www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The river was brutal for us this weekend

Default The river was brutal for us this weekend

While using artificials 100% of the time, we struggled to catch 1 stud brown and 2 legal walleye and a sub-legal Pike this weekend. Only moved 1 musky and had 3 very nice browns follow us in but no dice. Caught plenty of 6-9 inch freshly stocked rainbows on baits as large as they were.

It was very tough in my boat this weekend and not sure why.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I fished chautauqua this weekend and it was pretty tough as well. We managed 4 muskies 39-42.5" but overall it was not as good as it has been in recent weekends for me. We had lots of fishless hours. Saturday we fish from 6:30 to 12:00 with zero action and again to 5:45 with no action. Sunday we got just 1 fish in the middle of 7hrs of trolling. The water on the north end had cooled to 64-66 degrees. Three of the fish we caught were further down the water column and in deeper water than I have been getting them. Got 1 fish on a 10" bait this weekend also...that was my first fish on a bait bigger than a perchbait this season at Chautauqua.
    Adam A

I had a pretty good night on saturday. I landed a low 30 musky, and had Jimmy chase a homemade bucktail. Still after that crazy fish. I thought the water was perfect. Could not see why you had a bad weekend. Hmm

Probably because too much time was spent digging my lures out of submerged trees because I was being a dumba**

On the lighter side, I did get to pound the heck out of the RiverPro Sunday going past the refinery. That was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8oJOhkltM

Cool video. I watched a guy at the Trading Post in Tidioute go through the fast water down river and then try and get back up through the same fast shallow, rock infested water. I wish I would of had my camera. This guy was in some where around a 16" deep V with a small OB with prop. It was some thing to watch. I didn't have much luck on the river on Sat.

It looks pretty tame going downriver. Coming back up I was a little tight because I'm not very experienced with that kind of driving.
    There is a boulder-strewn, very shallow section of the Yough that I've had my eye on for awhile. I think that will be my next test

Just stay away from the Oil City rapids.......not quite sure I am ready to attempt that spot in low water.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I have 3 friends that are expert tig welders for aluminum. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by lowbidder View Post
    It looks pretty tame going downriver. Coming back up I was a little tight because I'm not very experienced with that kind of driving.
    There is a boulder-strewn, very shallow section of the Yough that I've had my eye on for awhile. I think that will be my next test

Oil City...
    The guys at Wiegel Bros. say the boat can do it. I'm not so sure about the driver though. That is also on my to-do list. I checked it out on Friday. It takes some real stones to just pick a lane and drop the throttle. There is no room for turning through there.

lowbidder, i know exactly what section you are talking about on the yough and it is a brutal section. skeeters hole in whitsett,i have done that section with my jet.it was a foot higher when i did it. the river is the lowest since 91 draught.gd luck.

Joel,
    I made it through there with no problems last november and the river was 7-8 inches higher than it is right now. That was with the outboard jet. The problem now is that so many more rocks are exposed. That makes it difficult to pick a lane and stay straight. It's such a long shallow run, if you get stuck, it's going to take a lot of effort to get out!

Red,
    Sorry for hijacking your post

Thumbs down

Lowbidder, I have a few places on the susquahanna that would be a good test for your river pro.

I'm sure you do... on the Susquehanna.

Saturday was horrible the river came up almost 6 inches and turned to chocolate milk in about 6 hours, right back to normal monday morning.... strange.

I wonder if they will keep the gates closed for the up coming tourney in Tidioute?
    Quote Originally Posted by McDunnoftheAllegheny View Post
    Saturday was horrible the river came up almost 6 inches and turned to chocolate milk in about 6 hours, right back to normal monday morning.... strange.

it's not the dam thats screws the river up, it's the dang conewango, when jamestown gets hammered it takes about two days to hit the allegheny then the river gets all muddy from the confluence down, if i remember they usually bring the water up just a bit for the tournament.