www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: evinrude e-tecs

Default evinrude e-tecs

i was just wondering if anyone owns or knows someone that owns an e-tec motor and has problems with them. i have an '08 150ho and have had lots of problems. all 6 injectors have been replaced, a bad oil sensor, leaking lower unit, and the newest one i have no idea what this is. friday night i was fishing on 50lb bar and i started the motor to head in at 10pm, put it in gear and the motor died. the gauges went dead and the trim/tilt didn't work. fuse was blown. installed new fuse, tried to start motor and motor wouldn't start. then fuse blew again. great. looked around and saw no boat lights. even better. put trolling motor on full power and headed back to treelands at a whole 2.9 mph. took me 45 min. to make it back. i'm glad i invested in the optimas this year. only put one fish in the boat last week. a 37. lost a mid 40's and saw 6 others. not a good way to end the trip

Hey Nick, I can definitely help you, but to do so, I need to better understand exactly where 50 lb. Bar is...hahaha--just kidding.

Sorry to hear about some of your E-Tec problems. Unfortunately, I have no insight into Evinrude outboards, as I have really only had experience with Mercury. Not sure what the longer-term answer is, but I doubt whether we will be getting another Merc next time around. Much like you, we have had numerous, unexplained issues with our 50hp 4-Stroke.

Just recently, we took our boat into Hayward Power Sports and (knock on wood many times) they seem to have found and fixed some of our problems. So, I guess my suggestion is to bring it to an experienced, reputable Evinrude mechanic. Chances are, he/she has seen and fixed your issues before.

Sorry I don't have your answer. Nevertheless, would you mind letting me know where exactly 50 lb. Bar is. ...just kidding again--I probably fish it under a different name.

Dave Hardy

I have an 90 hp (2007) E-Tec and had to have all the injectors replaced 2years ago after all kinds of problems (all covered under warranty). My motor would cut out at full throttle. My dealer (Wolf River Marine Fremont Wi) was great to me, but it was a pain in the butt! He gave me gallon of injector oil and kept apologizing. I haven't had any problems since.

Of all the people that have E-Tecs I would like to hear anyone that has "not" had problems. It seems every person that I've talked to has had nothing but trouble with those things.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Hopefully Ty I don't jinx myself. We've had ours since 06 and we have not had any problems with it. We love it.
    We have it serviced at the end of each year and ready for the next.

We do use the Evinrude XD100 oil, they say it's the best and we decided to go with it.

Like I said "hopefully I didn't just jinx it".

Sorry to hear of all the problems, going from a Merc to e-tec has been a great experience.

Default E-Tec

Our guide on the TFF has two E-Tecs...one on each of his boats. He has had nothing but problems with them, even when we are out with him...blown fuses, bad contacts, killing while running. He even reverted to letting it run the whole time we were out this past spring after it took him 45 minutes to get it going while we drift fished. Me...I'll stick with good old "Black" two strokes as long as they are allowed to keep making them. Got a 40 Merc on the Smokercraft that goes like crazy, and starts up every spring. Hope you can correct your problems though.

2 years with a 60HP Etec. Absolutely no problems 300+ hours. I run the XD100 oil also.
    John
    Two Harbors, MN

i got the boat back on friday. luckily it wasn't the motor this time. i had a short in the ignition. the part where the key actually goes in, they changed that and the engine runs great. i'll keep my fingures crossed. i'm just glad i found the service place i did. they have an engineer from evinrude that comes in and does the service at night. and if i drop the boat off by tuesday, i get back for the weekend. the place is called East Troy Marine just in case anyone lives near there. i would highly recomend them