www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: River Report/Conditions.......7/12

Default River Report/Conditions.......7/12

We had a very good Spring and early summer on the river chasing muskies but since the 200+ thousand 4-5 inch trout were stocked and the young-of-the-year spawn moved from the shallows and into the main channel, the bite has gotten much tougher. This tremendous amount of natural forage really shrinks the strike zone of all fish not just the muskies'. As usual, the fish are thick and almost look like they have fall girths already. Late-afternoon and evenings/nite are when we are moving/catching most of our muskies. The early morning bite has gotten much slower which usually means there is a very good nite bite happening.

River temps are 65-68 North of Warren and 71-75 between Warren and Tidioute. Water is in great shape and is at normal summer flow. Rubber swim baits and hybrids (Shallow Invaders, etc.) have been working best for us lately. Putting the bait in their faces is key right now.

After my walleye trip on Tuesday, Charlie and I will head to Tionesta for a few days of camping/fishing/relaxation. I sure hope the lake temps stay down with the warmer weather moving in on Tuesday.

Good luck and be safe out there.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red, I fished the lake on saturday. The water temp was 82 to 85 degrees. I took the daughter swimming also and swam down 10 feet and felt no difference in temp. All the fish were laying on the bottom. Ski boats were everywhere. Fished for 6 hrs with no action. Hit the river on Sunday, water temp was 80 degrees with floating grass everywhere. I lost one on topwater. I saw Howard and he said that he stopped on the way back from Kinzua. He only fished for an hour because of the floaters. He didnt have his casting stuff. We need some cooler weather. Did not see one dead fish all weekend. That was a positive!!

Default lost good luck hat

i was just wondering if you were the one that ended up with my hat on your truck windshield. a guy called today and he had the same last name as yours. if its you thanks again for going to drop it off at the rangers office.

Red,

Have you been doing any trout fishing in the tailwaters lately and if so have you done any good? I tried my first nighttime excursion on Saturday night. I lost one Rainbow on a crawler and that was it. No bites on my lure. I bought some better equipment online tonight that should enable me to cast a lot farther. I'm anxious to get back up there and try it out. I'm still looking for my first big Brown Trout up there. I've caught a few nice Rainbows this year and last up there but no Browns yet.