www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Help Needed in the Tionesta area

Default Help Needed in the Tionesta area

I got a call yesterday from a guy who wants to hire someone to show him the running lanes of 2 different sections of river near Tionesta. He wants to see where to run from Tionesta to President and from Tionesta to Tidioute.

I am not familiar enough with that section to give him the advice he needs. He is very willing to pay for someone's services. Cash is king. If anyone is interested, please shoot me a PM or just post here and I will get you connected with him.

Thanks!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red, Everyone I talk to seems to have a different opion on running those sections of the river. I was talking to the guy that runs Tionesta Marine and he seems very knowledgeable on running those sections. Might want to give him a call. I think they call him "Boone"

You are right, his name is Boone. I spoke with him last year and seems to be a nice guy.

Thanks for the idea.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

just curious...what is so hard about running the river from tionesta to president and tidioute? is there a special way to navigate these stretches of river.

During normal water levels, a jet is the only thing that can travel most of the middle and upper sections of the Allegheny River.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I ran into WCO Wygant at the lighthouse ramp last week and he was telling me with this low water he lets his partner with more river experience navigate the channels....which speaks volumes for a guy who's been at it since 1974!

Exactly my point. If you commit and pick the wrong side of an island, it gets ugly real fast. It would be soooooo very nice to find a local river rat for this assignment.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

you guys are getting me pumped....i hope it stays this way for a another week or so. sorry for you boat guys but wading is my only option.

One of the worse sections is right by the fish hatchery in Tionesta. I have seen canoes having a difficult time getting thru.

Getting through by the fish hatchery? I don't think i could even launch my boat there! Lol. I saw a PFBC boat launch was located across from the hatchery and when I saw it in person I LMAO. Hickory has a nice launch though and the one in president is do-able. With my limited experience I would just launch from those areas and skip the worst section through Tionesta.
    Would you destroy your boat for a 50" musky? Sounds like a survey.

The org. post was help from Tionesta to Tidioute, Just saying its bad by hatchery.I don't think I would run it. West Hickory launch is fine but river has some tricky spots up to Tidioute. I always try to travel up river. If any problems you can always float back to were you started. Last fall we put in at Tidioute and went down just past the Trading Post. Got into some trouble in the shallows with the electric TM so I started up the inboard jet, big mistake. It sucked up a rock thru the grate and lodged between the impeller and housing. You cant get to the intake with out scuba gear. This is were a outboard jet is better. I walked back to the Tidioute launch. Anyway my GF and her lab floated to west Hickory using the TM. It was 8 miles and she said it was tricky but enjoyable. Apparently she made all the right nav choices. Since then I have stiffened up the grate spring. I think if I would of turned the motor in reverse by hand the rock would of fell out. Live and Learn !!

I agree. I would launch at West Hickory. It is a nicer launch and more parking then Tionesta launch. You also would be above the nasty rapids at the hatchery. I only saw a handful of boats go up there in the 10 years I been going to Tionesta. Be safe. I agree, no Fish is worth your boat or harm to yourself.

I think i have the stretch from president launch down to Oleopolis and down to walnut bend figured out. There are some parts that you really need to be right on the money. I am truly amazed at my Jetcraft boat. I was up on the river last weekend and its been the lowest i have ran. I also had my first big musky follow. I myself would love to have some sort of follow the leader on the river because i would also enjoy learning the stretch from president up to tionesta.
    Todd Blose

do any of you fellas fair well on the musky down near hunters station? that usually has some pretty good water judging from all the times i've been there. i've caught a lot of smallmouth down that way wading over the years but have only casted musky baits 12 or so times with only a 36 inch pike to show for my efforts.

Are you guys talking about the rapids in front of that campground right above the dredge pool. Just hang to the western side and put the hammer down. You shouldn't have any problems.

Boone would be a great source. I can think of 2 guys off the top of my head that should know and are on the river constantly. If you don't have anyone yet i can go talk to them first to be sure.

Nobody has come forward yet so any help would be much appreciated.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Ok Red i'll go check out on a couple guys and get back to you.

Ok Red i have you covered on the guide down here my way. I gave him the info you gave me and he'll contact him and work out the details. If it's ok with you i have his permission to post his name if anyone else needs some help tooling around down in my neck of the woods in the Tionesta area . I won't post the info though Red unless you say it's ok to do so. Let me know.

I got your voice mail and sent Jeff a text letting him know there should be someone contacting him soon.

As for posting his name, that is absolutely fine with me until I get time to learn that area well enough....lol. This is the 4th summer that I have told myself that I was going to get on the stretch from Tionesta to Oil City but it just never works out. I have been way too busy on my 'home' stretch to even think about it.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

No problem at all Red. Glad i could help. Doug is an excellent fisherman and he knows the river very well !! He said he is trying to get things in order so he can guide around here. Thanks for the permission to post his info. I wanted to respectfully ask and not step on your toes or anything. So if anyone is looking for a guide in the Tionesta area for the Allegheny River here's the contact info.

Doug McMichael
    Tionesta, Pa.
    If no answer leave a message

Thx Red !!