www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: May 24th Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seriously?

I have a Ranger 619, which is just shy of 20 feet and could be considered a big boat. I have also used the Little Saint boat launch three times in the last two weeks -- May 17, 19 and 26. Sure the water in Little Saint is a little low (6 inches at the most) and a person needs to be careful given the current situation, but as Rob said, there is no problem at the Little Saint launch.

The only water up here that is scary low is the Rainbow Flowage, and that's thanks to the "efforts" of the WVIC. And there are a couple lakes where you shouldn't try to launch a big boat (Big Muskellunge, Little John, Laura to name a few), but I've had no issues launching or trailering my boat at EVERY boat landing I've used this spring.

EDIT: I deleted Big Sand from the list above. While I have not been there, I heard from a friend on 6/7 that improvements have been made and the launch is in good shape in spite of water levels remaining extremely low.

Also, I was on Little Saint again Sunday, 6/6. The launch remains in great shape. If you have an extremely large boat you may wish to launch on the right side (when viewing the lake) as it's a little deeper than the left side. However, because of traffic at the launch, I put my Ranger in on the left side and still had no problems.

Most launches have a shallow spot just behind the blow hole, and some have logs, stumps or a few rocks in the vicinity. Whenever I prepare to launch at a boat landing I haven't used in a couple weeks, I ALWAYS survey the situation before backing my boat in. It's just common sense.
    Last edited by Steve Heiting; 06-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Steve Heiting
    Musky Hunter Magazine - Managing Editor
    Website: http://www.steveheiting.com[br]http://www.muskyhunter.com