www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: May 19th report

Default May 19th report

I had John Straple, Jim, and John's dad out again last night for a half day. We started out bass fishing and caught some but they were not going really good yet. I'd say we caught about 10 or more bass. They were all the smaller males in the 14 to 16 inch range. The only bigger bass we had was right at sundown and John lost that one on the surface after a couple jumps. At dark we fished walleye for an hour or so and caught quite a few. We tried to figure out how many we caught and it was around thirty walleye between 14 and 20 inches. We caught about five or six in the 20 inch range and Jim caught the biggest at somewhere around 21 inches. I think Jim caught about 13 or 14 of them but lost about 20 others with no exaggeration. Might have been the Linnie's. He definitely had the right technique though. I'm guessing talking loud and not paying attention was his strategy and it worked. He kept me laughing though. We had quite a few times with doubles on from nice fish. We kept some to eat and threw the rest back. There are a lot of really good eating sized walleye on the flowage right now in that 16 inch range. Like I said yesterday, it's just a matter of being in the right spot when they come through. There is some luck involved but spot selection helps. If you do get out here make it a point to let the larger fish of twenty inches and over go. It will be better for the lake in the long run. Better genetics for the lake.

Thanks to John, Jim, and Mr. Straple for a great time. I forgot, Jim ended the night with a lure in the trees so he lost the bet and owed everyone a bloody mary at Treelands. Lucky for him they were closed when we got back.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Nice to hear the walleyes are biting good Ty. Live bait? Crawlers or minnows, too early for leeches?

Jigging or rigging? What are overall good jig colors on the chip? Chart, orange, white, green? I caught 10 walters on a white jig the other weekend on a lake down here in Southern Wisc. Tried the same technique the next weekend and caught nill. Had to switch to single hook no bladed lindy rigs. Dead calm and warm. Windy and cold the previous weekend. Caught a 34" pike though, so that was cool. 3rd biggest fish in the Crestliner's history. 44" ski, 39" ski, 34" pike. Topraider, musky killer, jig and minnow.

I might be asking too much, but I really want to catch some walleyes when we are up there next weekend. Near dark or after dark? Gotta maximize that witching time for skis and walters.

If you don't want to give up the motherload to all and want to share with me, you can email me at ryanstewart7@yahoo.com.

You let me know where you will be over next weekend and I will buy you a beer or bloody mary. Treelands your hangout? Would like to say hi. Saw you at the Chicago show but missed you at the Milwaukee. We will be staying at the Chip campground. I already have about 5 spots marked on the map that look to be good. Northeast of Cletchers bar, east side of Banana Island, Cedar Top area, northeast of Eagles nest, Crane creek mouth, and the area south east of there, with the islands and deep water hole. Supposedly the area outside of Sisko's campground is good too.

Ever fish Scott Lake for walters, also looks like a good area.

Just doing my homework. Any help would be much appreciated.

Whoa, that was a lot of questions. I think you are over thinking this whole walleye thing. Use some jig and whatever live bait you want during the day, and pitch some crankbaits at night. Easy enough. If things are tough try slip bobbers or deep running cranks and jig/ringworm presentations. The spots you pick will be the biggest thing and you have some good starting points. Don't over think it. You'll do fine.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com