www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Prop Question?

Default Prop Question?

Wondering if anyone is smarter than myself, shouldn't take much when it comes to engines. I made the bone head move of being in a hurry to head out walleye fishing the other night and didn't pick up my motor when i launch on my Mercury 40 hp 4 stroke. I broke about 3/4" off one prop.
    Since i am going to replace it I want to know what you know about prop pitch and performance? My prop is a 10 7/8" with 11 pitch i have been told to reduce pitch to slow down my troll which i need because now i have to troll with 2 socks out to get to walleye speed. Mercury doesn't make another a lesser pitch in the 10 7/8" but they make 8 and 9 pitch in 11 1/4" and 12 1/2", wasn't sure what it would do or if it is ok to increase the diameter of the prop as well.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Only good thing that came that night was Walleye dinner the next. Got 3 walleye that night, released a 30" and ate a 23 and 25"

Walleyemick,
    You're on the low end for prop pitch already. Prop diameter change is usually not an option because of clearances. I suggest getting a 5-10 HP kicker to troll with. Used ones can be bought $200-$400 It will put you down as slow as you want to troll and save plenty on fuel. The 5-6 HP Evinrude/ Johnsons work great for this if well tuned & adjusted. You can troll all day on 3 gallons. There are steering brackets available to tie the two motors together for control from your present steering. There are also the electrics & batteries to go to if you choose that route.

Then consider getting a higher pitch prop for the 40HP which will increase your fuel mileage when traveling at higher speeds. Look at IBoats.com
    online for lots of info on props. Consider buying a new prop with removeable hub,when you damage a prop you replace it & use your old hub at a good savings.
    Thanks for releasing the 30".
    Anglr

Thumbs up Trolling Plate

Have you considered a trolling plate, they work.good luck fishing.