www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: West Side vs. East Side

Default West Side vs. East Side

I have enjoyed this forum for a couple years and just wanted to jump in for some help. I went to The Chip as a kid growing up in Chicago but went back for the first time in over 20 years last year. I now live in Philadelphia. It was the best week of the year and now I plan to make it an annual trip. I know the East side has more muskie but I was wondering what people's thoughts were about the two sides for muskie foremost but also for other species. Maybe someone could even break down the northeast, southeast, northwest and southwest areas? Thanks.

I think everyone will have different opinions on this topic. I know some guys that catch more muskies on the west side than the east side and some that catch more on the east than the west. From what I've seen, I think the whole lake is great but at different times. Some areas get hot and cold and it's just a matter of moving around a lot to find where they are biting. I think for walleye there are more areas that hold walleye on the east side but I think that's spawning related. For bass there are definitely more largemouth bass on the west side and more smallmouth bass on the east side. There are a ton of crappie and bluegill on both sides.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

We are west side people and do pretty well for everything except more smallmouths seem to been on the east side. Every year we see more smallies on the west (they're moving on over).

Both sides are equally beautiful, west side is more clearer water and east side has the stained tea brown color. Personally I really like the stained water.

I love the whole thing, can't go wrong anywhere.

Thanks for responding. When you only have a week a year it's great to learn and anticipate getting away. Going back in past posts there is great information here. For example, I found Crystal Lake interesting last year with its beauty, deep water, abundant bait fish and seclusion and was able to learn more about it here. I also lost a musky at the boat fishing alone when i bent over for the net and gave it slack for a second so Ty's idea about have the net ready over the side was a great idea. Ty, you played basketball and your dad coached? We may share interest in fishing and basketball. It would be great to get in the boat with you some day. Good luck to all you lucky people out for the opener.

Cool West side is horrible

Eveyone needs to stay on the east side as much as possible. There's nothing but 'gills and bullhead on the west side. Anything worth pursuing is on the east side. The only thing we have over here on the west is shallow water and jet skis.

I hope this helps any would be explorers who might consider venturing over to the west side.

one of the G3 guys.

LOL! East vs. West, Biggie and Tupac would be so proud...

We! we've had success with both sides.

West side spots are a little more spaced out but you fish on each spot for a longer period of time. East side has many small spots that you can hit and move, hit...and move...but when worse comes to worse, do what most do and pitch a tent and camp pete's bar for the weekend...

I know Pete's bar is large and productive but it's also well known. Are you joking about sitting in that area or do you think it's always good to spend some time there? There are always at least some boats out there.

Pete's Bar continues to be productive year in and year out. I know that most guys including myself keep it in the rotation of spots they frequent. Lots of fish are caught there every year and last year there were at least two caught there that were over 50". It's an easy spot to learn the basics of and if you're paying attention in a short time you'll pick where the "spots on the spot" are. There's a ton of good water right around Pete's as well. I suspect that if you have the mindset that allows you to stay entirely in one area for a weekend you'd have a good chance of hitting the window on Pete's and at least getting some opportunities to boat muskies. A guy could probably reduce his fuel consumption by about two-thirds and increase his number fish boated by an equal percentage if he'd go out there, learn an area really well and fish that area hard. The GPS may have allowed us to find spots and get an overview of a body of water pretty easily, but if you've read this board for very long boat position on the spot is really the key to catching muskies on the Chip. I don't think those who've only got the time to fish a few weekends each year have a very good chance of being sucessful using a run and gun tactic. It's more fun to see a ton of the lake, and change up the scenery every half-hour or so, but you'll have more sucess if you fish a few spots really well.

Pete's produces no doubt...

Yea, I can go camp pete's for a weekend and prolly get one, but I know I can do much better thinking, analyzing, using my brain power to divide and conquer the muskie population...

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...

When we devise a plan of attack for the day, we try to keep pete's off of that plan...but because it does produce, you would be foolish not to hit it up once a day...plus it's big, boring, and crowded...if we are passing by Pete's at dusk during the week and 1 boat is out there, that's usually when we hit it up...
    Last edited by Ty Sennett; 05-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Even though Pete's is big, It can still get burned out. I wouldn't camp on any spot because your chances dwindle the more frequent you fish it. One year Cavanaugh Bay had tons of fish in it. (Cavanaugh is definitely bigger than Pete's) I talked with one boat that year and they said they saw a bunch at the begining of the week and none at the end. Come to find out they were in there all day all week. I'm not saying the fish were not in there....I'm saying the fish didn't like to see boats constantly. Fish will get conditioned just like any other animal.

Frequent your best spots, but don't overdo it!!! A lake like the flowage has a lot of spots with similar forage and cover. If you like Pete's, give it a break sometimes and try the other big bars. Sand,Birch, Cedar Tops, Steven's Point, Perch, Cletcher's, 50 lb., Wagon Wheel, Rudy's, Sisters, Church, Last Chance.......just to name a few.

Also fish your best spots at prime time!!!!!

tait

Sorry Snizz, kinda had to remove some of your post. I didn't want to but you know. And without that part Cold Front's post didn't make sense so I just took that down rather than confuse people. Thanks for the posts anyway. Good points.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com