www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walleyes Staging

Default Walleyes Staging

A friend picked up a dozen 4" to 5" suckers at Bay View Monday and another dozen Tuesday, and several friends and I have fished the west shore breaklines with both tip-ups and rod/reel (with small trebles and clip-on stinger trebles). I am using my portable now due to changing ice conditions and the need to move more frequently to try to stay on fish. We generally fish shallow before sunrise and move deeper after about 8:00 to 8:30 a.m. Evenings are reversed or we sometimes just set up at the drop-off base and wait for late afternoon and sunset. Depths of 12' to 35' have been the range covered. Some fish seem to be slowly moving toward potential spawning sites (places where they will later spawn). My best fish has been 26", but my friends have been doing better with big fish. Monday's best two were 28.5" and 29.5". Tuesday's best was 31.5" and this morning's (Wed.)was 31.25". Some smaller fish were kept for eating.

Default Question

Just wondering if the majority of those fish came from the tip ups or from jigging?

Default Tip-Up vs. Jig

I'd call it 60/40 in favor of jigging but the best option is usually based on the situation. If you get there before prime time and everyone gets set up with jigging rods and stays quiet, does not move around, and focuses on their presentation, rods are best. If there are others walking around, occasional ATV's driving by, and a few holes being drilled during prime hours, tip-ups away from the shacks are likely best. Think of big walleyes as ten-point bucks or bigger. You will be standing just above them and they can be very spooky. A small noise can make them slip away or at least change their minds about biting.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info