www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tanks???

Question Tanks???

Hey guys, I was just wondering where some of the big walleyes that I am seeing in the recent reports are coming from. I do not want exact locations, but are they coming from the north part of the bay or the south? On structure, or in the abyss? Deep or shallow? I normally think of the area between Esky and portage point as being a top notch spot for catching tanks, but I’m too chicken to deal with those pressure cracks. I was mostly wondering if anybody is catching the hawgs up north of Gladstone. I primarily fish in that area, and I get some nice fish, many in the 25-30 inch range, but I can’t seem to get any giant fish of 11 pounds or more.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

25 to 30 inch range sounds DAMN good to me. You're on it buddy.

I would like to find ANY fish!

If you are catching many in the 25-30 inch range, don't bother looking for anything better, it doesn't exist. Your skills continue to amaze, keep up the good work and start posting some pics of your "many" hogs.

Default I would love sum eyes!

When u find sum eyes worth keeping,PLZ let me know!The only eyes i have seemed to be catching are those darn 9 to 14inchers...So ya ANY info on where the keeper eyes would be would help...Thanks JEFF!
    Last edited by Walleye Slayer; 02-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Hey WalleyeGuy, as I said, I haven't caught any real hawgs yet this season, but here are a couple of pictures for ya anyway. They are the two biggest walleyes that I've caught so far this ice. One is 29 inches, the other is 30 inches, both right around 8.5 lbs.
    Oh yeah, and yes it does get better, a lot better! If I would have weighed in one of these at the Jug Bordeau tourney, I would have gotten nothing but laughed at. I wouldn’t have even come close to placing. Also, my definition of “many” is probably different than some people’s. When I said many, I meant that every second or third of my short fishing trips I catch one that exceeds 25 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small file 2.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	8577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small file.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	8578  

Default Nice Fish

Hey thanks for the pics, looks pretty good to me...
    Mike P
    Nirvana Resort

Thumbs up

Hey Walleye Slayer,
    It sounds to me like you’ve got the catching part figured out. After all, a 9-14 incher really doesn’t act any differently than a 15-18 incher. Therefore, if you are consistently catching undersized fish, it would tell me that you are probably just fishing where there aren’t many keepers. I would try moving around until you find some bigger fish. Last year, I fished a spot near the east bank at Kipling a couple of times and I was catching anywhere from 10-20 walleyes every time I went there, but I couldn’t get a keeper if my life depended on it. In fact, they weren’t even close. Your 14 inchers could eat the fish that I am talking about!
    Anyway, if you catch my drift, some spots are nearly impossible to catch a keeper in, while others may not produce many fish, but the fish they do produce are huge. And then, if you win the jackpot, you might come across a spot like the guys in the post, “what a weekend” found.
    There are certainly other people that are more authoritative on this subject than me, but from my experience, if you want lots of little fish, fish structure. When I say little fish, I don’t necessarily mean undersized, but be prepared to weed through lots of dinks for every keeper. Also, big fish and deep water seem to go hand and hand (in the daytime, that is). If you want a spot that has the possibility of a decent fish or two, try to find some structure that is directly adjacent to the main basin of whatever area you fish in.

Also, as I said, there are lots of people who are better at this than I am, but if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a P.M. I’m always glad to help people when I can.
    Good luck!