www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Need some info/tips?

Default Need some info/tips?

I have been out fishing atleast 10 times and I have only caught one small perch! I have been reading posts on here for awhile now, I have bought every fire tiger lure I could find, I have tried every size minnow they offer, I have bought just about every color moonshine lures has to offer, and still no luck. I have spent about 1500 already, with buying the Clam 6800, eskimo gas auger, poles, tackle, bait! They is crazy! I have fished out of the yellow gate access, in kipling in about 7 different spots, out off the harbor in Gladstone were everyone seems to be getting walleye, I have been to Genes pond, norway lake, and I only have caught 1 damn fish. My question is what the hell am i doing wrong? The only thing I dont have is a underwater camera, is this the problem? If so where do I get one and how much are they? I was in gladstone tonight off the yacht club for 3.5 hours and no bites at all, oh and what is the best time to go out fishing, morning? luch? evening? thanks for any help

Cool Fishing

That is why we call it "Fishing". Good luck fishing from Walleye Quinn...

Cool Don't feel bad!

Hey Tom,
    Welcome to the sight! This is a good place to get some help and lots of info that you'll need. Sounds like you've got everything you need.
    DON"T go buy any more stuff that won't catch you more fish. If I were to spend any more than what you have , I would focus on getting a decent hand held GPS with a contour map of the lakes so you know where your at and can eliminate fishing in unproductive areas. This too is easier said than done. Lot's of people, including myself are baffled as to why fishing has been so poor this year.
    Also , before I would go and buy an underwater camera, I would get a flasher for checking depth and marking fish. Either a Vexilar or Marcum or Lowrance X67 ice machine. These are without a doubt , the best Ice Fishing tool you can have in your arsinal. I can hardly fish without it anymore. Forgot mine at home one day last week and felt naked without it. The flasher will help you target depth contours, breaks , weeds, and variances of the bottom once you learn to use it. It will also tell you how the fish are reacting to your presentation , color, style , size of bait and depth of fish. If you've been fishing on the bottom , how do you know there aren't fish suspended above your lure?? GPS and Flasher are almost a must before anything else.
    This high tech ice fishing can get expensive once you throw in the 4 wheel drive truck , trailer, 4-wheeler/snowmobile and all the rest of the stuff you already have, not to mention having to also go out for friday night fish fry with the fam because you came home empty handed again!! So don't feel bad, and don't give up, and learn something new everytime you go out . You already know it can't get worse. One other thing , rather than spending more money on equipment other than the GPS and Flasher, you might consider a guide for a day. It's one of the best ways to learn provided you get the right guide and it eliminates a lot of guess work. Good Luck and let us know how your doing. Slammer!!!!!!

Tom, don't feel bad. A lot of people don't realize how tough fishing can be on LBDN. Many of us still haven't figured it out! Take slammers suggestions, and anything else you can learn off this thread and keep trying...

Default Tough Fishing lately

Down off of Gladstone I have done better in the mornings were I fish. It isn't a fast and furious bite like the evenings can be, but it can last for a few hours in the morning. It has been really tough going lately. I made six trips out in the last 2 weeks and all I got to show is one under size Northern and couple of light strikes that i never got a hook set in. I would mark anywhere from 10-20 fish a trip that would come in and check my bait out and swim off. I don't have an underwater camera so I don't know what type of fish they are for sure, but these are spots that produced walleyes for me in the past. I tried live bait on slip bobbers, tip-ups, raps, shiver minnows, chubby darters, pimples, buckshot spoons, lead heads, ect., ect. Every color in the rainbow and come up with nothing. Just hang in there, hopefully last ice will be better. My self I am going to check out some inland lakes and see if I can't score some gills, or some chunky northerns. Good luck and don't give up.

Way to hit the nail on the head Slammer !
    Only suggestion I would make is I bought a Delorme GPS.. Can't get any inland contours but I know have everything for big bay as well as little bay... Sure makes planning a outing easier when I can pick some spots mark them on the computer and then download to the handheld and then drive right to them rather than driving around drilling holes to find the depth I want. oh by the way fish finder a must... baydenocfishing.com....Jon is a great guy and will not steer you wrong as a guide.