www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: monnow saver

Default monnow saver

When I was on the Bay last year, I saw guys using a submersible bait holding unit that they would just drop down their hole. This tube like container would allow you to keep minnows alive for a long time. Could someone let me know what these are called and where I might find one?

Thanks

Ragboy

Default monnow holder

What I use to keep monnows, minnows, or any other kind of bait that swims is a plastic coffee can.

1. Drill a bunch of holes in the top half (don't drill the bottom half) and tie a rope to it. The blue Maxwell House cans have worked well because you can tie right to the handle. The coffee's pretty good too. A six foot rope should work.

2.Throw a couple rocks in when you sink the leftovers for the night so the can sinks. Try to keep the rope centered in the hole so that when you have to chop it out, you're not chipping into the rope, which could happen if it froze to the side of your icehole.

That's what I use, good luck...

I bought mine @ Bayshore Bait in Kipling and I believe that Chris @ Bayview has them also. They are the best thing since sliced bread.

Capt. Steve is OUT

Default Minnow holder

Do you by chance know what they are called? I have googled everything that I can think of.

Unless you're talking about the Leech Locker http://www.magicproducts.com/bait_containers.htm , we don't carry anything like that. They'll work for that purpose, but they won't hold very many minnows and you'll have to weigh them down.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Default Minnow holder

Mark Peloza's partner was using one in his shack. It was about 6 or 7 inches in diameter and was about 2 feet long. He would put it down the hole and tie it off in the shack. I believe it was metal or maybe heavy plastic.

This is Mark's partner "crawlerman" they are called Bait King made by Kass Winns. I purchased them at the Bayshore Bait shop in Kipling.

Thanks crawlerman. See you in February.

Over here in Garden Bay we have been useing similar bait holding containers for years. We take two paint cans and cut the top out of one and cut the bottom out of another. Take a piece of wire screen and solder them to the top and bottom can. Hook a line to the handle and your done. A better way to rig it up is we drill an extra hole and let the line freeze in far enough away from your fishing holes so fish won't get tangled up but yet close enough so you can reach it with a piece of heavy wire. Just take a piece of heavy wire and bend it untill you can reach the line and bring it up through a hole you are going to fish. Take out what you need and drop it back down the hole.
    Tom
    Last edited by tomjohn; 12-21-2009 at 10:33 AM.

I use the old tin (Galvanized) one with the removeable center with the holes, drop the center in it will sink when filled and tie it off to the shanty. The only drawback is the hole size but if you keep it open they'll live forever. I used a small chain and set it on the bottom when in shallow and never had any better minnows.

Smile I'd like to see pictures

i'd like to see some good pictures of your inventions guys, Iam in need of making a minnow keeper.
    thanks Dan