www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Rod Holders For Down Rods?

Default Rod Holders For Down Rods?

I've been using Down East Salties for years on the sides and propwash of my boat. Occasionally the holders will pop out of their bases.

I wrote the manufacturer and found out that the holders are not meant for verticle (down) rod placement (line pressure is supposed to keep them in place) and there have reports of rod losses due to them opening up when a fish hits (never happened to me). They suggested "rod leashes" if I use them that way!

I've since gone to Scotties on the sides of my boat (still use the Salties in the back for the wash) and so far they are ok, but are certainly not as heavy duty as the "Salties" nor are they as easy to use. I've also heard other anglers claim that they will "blow up" if a big fish hits.

Your opinion? Also, is there something out better for "down rods?"

Thanks.
    Last edited by Muskiekid; 11-02-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Default Down East Rodholder / Down Rods

Tom,I use Down East Rodholders for Down Rods.To keep them from opening I use a number 10 rubber band around the rod holding section and main body of the rod holder. Just enough tension to keep the rod holding section from jumping out of its seating into the main body.Then when you grab the rod to lift it out of the holder its not hard to break the rubber band.I lost complete rod & reel combo's using plastic rod holders in cold weather conditions.
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

Here is my .02 cents..............

I managed to get my hands on a set of Folbe's last summer and they seem very strong. I did not want to re-rig my boat away from the Down East but if I ever decide to get away from the Salty's, the Folbe's would get the nod. Jim Bortz has those holders now and he is very pleased with them. One of the user friendly aspects of the Folbe's is you can change the rod angle in a matter of a few seconds.

They are designed to disallow the holder to pop open when a fish strikes, even when running vertical. The only way to get the rod out of the holder is by pulling a tension release button. The plastic is very thick and capable of pulling boards since you do not have to worry about the holder opening up at vertical angles.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks. Tom

I would never use or recommend anyone to use plastic rod holders.

I have been using Down East rod holders since 1998 when we started seriously muskie fishing. I run both of my back rods almost straight up and down almost all the time. I have NEVER had a rod come out of the holder.

Some things to consider:
    1. Do you have the black powder coated down east holders? I have heard they pop open.

2. Use rods with triggers and make sure the holder is closed all the way around the reel and the triggers are seated inside the trigger groove that is built into the holders. I think the triggers put an outward force on the Down East holder and make them tighter. I actually had to file down some St Croix triggers to get them into the trigger groove in the holder.

3. Run your back rods at a 45 degree angle (as opposed to a 90 degree angle on your side rods) to your gunwhale and then put them verticle and buried in the water. This way the pressure of the lure being trolled or a strike is not pulling the exact way you would need to pop the rod out of the holder. If you run your holder and rod straight out the back of your boat and verticle, the pressure on the rod is the same angle that is needed to open the holder. If you don't pull the rods out on the exact angle they need to oped the holder, they don't open. I have even had people in my boat that can't get the rods out of the holder when a fish hits because they are not releasing the tension and pulling the rod out at the correct angle.

You should not be having this problem. There must be something wrong with your setup.

I will try to find and post a pic or two of my set with rods in the holders.

Adam A.

Regarding Adam's post about the powder coated Salty's.............

I had to use a stiff wire brush to clean the powder coating off the surfaces that recede into the holder itself so they would not pop open........I think Capt. Larry suggested that to me several years ago and the problem stopped.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks for the replies.

I've never had the "wash rod" holders come out of the base which are mounted on the back of the boat. My side rod holder bases (not the rods themselves) on occasion would slip, but not open when I would put rod tips under water to prevent weeds or leaves accumulating on my lures.

I wrote the company about it and was advised that the holders are not meant for verticle presentations at all (news to me) - thus the concern about losing a rod (never happened). The company rep recommended a rod leash to prevent a loss of rod/reel IF I continue to use them that way. I will be using them in the wash but not for verticle presentations on the sides of my boat.

Powder coated Salites: I had these on my boat a few years ago and had a lot of problems with them, especially if they were less than horizontal. I purchased them from an online Musky store, but sent them back to the Down East Company. I was told by the company that the powder-coated holders I had received were no longer made (apparently on the "shelf" a while) and there had been problems with them slipping out of the base (apparently due to their slickness). I replaced them with the galvanized type and have had few problems with them (except as mentioned above). A freind recently put the powder coated Salites on the sides of his boat. Same problem - slippage. Perhaps they are old ones too?

I put the Scotties on the sides of my boat and they seem pretty sturdy. I've heard that the main problem with them is cold weather affecting their strength and thus shattering if a big fish hits.

Folbies: I wish they were made of metal. Look pretty good, but are plastic and don't look as strong as the Scotties to me.

Seems like a looser drag will prevent the plastic from shattering with a big fish hitting!!

Rods themselves: interesting. My wash rods all have triggers. My side rods don't - perhaps that is contributing to the problem.
    Last edited by Muskiekid; 11-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.

I am really surprised to hear that your trouble is with your side rods. I always run my side rods tips in the water also. The pressure of the pull of the lure and/or a strike is not the right angle to cause the holder to open. Seems weird.
    Does your motor vibrate your gunwhales or something?
    Maybe the trigger rods might help.
    How often does it happen?
    Maybe the pin at the bottom of the holder where it opens (kind of a hinge) is too loose or worn out or something. You haven't lubricated that with WD 40 or something, have you?

Default Salty's Openning In Waves

I use number 10 rubber bands on my down rods in the Down East Rod Holders to keep them from popping open from the rods going under and out of big waves on Lake erie in the high winds of late November.
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

I was talking with a friend last night about your rod holder situation. He knew someone that had a similar problem with two of his Down Easts. He figured they must have been defective somehow and returned them. After getting two new ones, he hasn't had an issue again. Maybe you just have a couple bad ones.

thanks for the info.