www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Any News ? Any Updates ?

Question Any News ? Any Updates ?

A buddy and I are going to head up to Escanaba to pull some cranks on the bay....

What have the water temps been doing and where are they at now?

Has there been any pulling cranks during the day or after dark ?

I have only been up there in the spring 3 years ago and fell in love with the area !!! Looking forward to trying out the fall...

Thanks in advance for any info that you would like to share !!

Dave

I'm afraid there isn't too much to report on right now. There have been very few people fishing so far this season due to the bad weather that always seems to hit on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, (surprise, surprise, this weekend doesn't look too good, either!) The few guys that are going haven't been doing too well. 1 or 2 fish a trip has been average, daytime and after dark. Crawlers and redtails have been best during the day, and cranks after dark. No particular hotspots yet. I did have some guys in the shop yesterday that ran into a couple 23 inch class fish off of Black Bottom pulling cranks at sunset the evening before. The last decent reports we had came from down south of the Ford River. I haven't talked to anyone that's been down that way in the last week, but it should still be holding some fish. Water temps in the upper bay are in the low 40's, and in the mid 40's south of Gladstone.

If it was me, I would concentrate my efforts on fish in the shallows after dark. Find some calm water and shine the shallows with a spotlight, ( just like shining deer.) When you see a fish, take the light off it, and make a few casts (shallow running crankbaits.) Fish in the shallows this time of year are mostly active and feeding. If it doesn't bite after a few casts, move down the shoreline and look for another. This way you eliminate dead water fast, and target the most active fish.

Good luck this weekend. Let us know if you do any good.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Default not good

I have friends there who have been fishing since Saturday. They zeroed on Monday and Tuesday. These are guys who have been fishing up there for over 20 years. They know the area very well and are good sticks. They pulled their boats yesterday and worked Cedar river area hard. Missed 1 walleye and maybe had a second on.

They report that a couple have been caught today (Wednesday) up North. looks like good weather today and tomorrow then it gets real ugly again.

Friday: A 50 percent chance of showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Breezy, with a south wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a low around 39.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 45.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.

Monday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.

NOAA gives the following warning:

...POWERFUL AUTUMN STORM TO AFFECT LAKE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...

LOW PRESSURE IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS
    THURSDAY BEFORE MOVING NORTHEAST AND DEEPENING EXTREMELY RAPIDLY
    FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY. IT IS STILL FAR TOO EARLY TO ACCURATELY
    PREDICT THE EXACT TRACK AND INTENSITY OF THIS STORM...HOWEVER
    EARLY INDICATIONS ARE THAT THIS STORM MAY BECOME UNUSUALLY
    INTENSE. SHOULD THE STORM BECOME AS POWERFUL AS SOME INDICATIONS
    SUGGEST IT COULD BE...THEN STORM FORCE WINDS WOULD LIKELY DEVELOP
    FRIDAY OR SATURDAY.

THIS STORM IS STILL IN THE DEVELOPING STAGES AND ANY DEVIATION IN
    THE FORECASTED TRACK OR INTENSITY WOULD LIKELY HAVE BIG
    IMPLICATIONS ON THE EXPECTED STRENGTH OF THE WINDS. MARINERS
    SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR LATER FORECASTS ON THIS DEVELOPING STORM
    SYSTEM.

Looking at all weather outlets, it appears that areas north of Escanaba will have gale force winds. If they are wrong and it moves further south it will be impossible to get out Friday afternoon and Saturday.

With all that being said, my buddy and I are coming up tonight and staying through the weekend. We are doing it with the knowledge that we may be spending time on shore with a beer in hand. We need the break from the real world regardless. Friends in the area suggest we stay home if fishing is our intent.

Default Tuesday

I was out mid-day Tuesday, caught 1 decent fish about 23, had a few misses here and there. Tried a few spots from Gladstone and north, pulled some harnesses and cranks, not much action on either. Marked quite a few fish in the basin area north of the narrows, usually a good area for afternoon into evening fishing with leadcore and cranks, but only one good pull, couple half-hearted bites. My only fish came from further north in about 22' of water on a harness. Tried out in front of Gladstone, couldn't get anything going there either.

Default Heading up tomorrow

With nasty winds, cold and wind on the way we are still going to head up for the weekend! Looking back at my notes from the past 6 years the Halloween weekend weather and water temps have been somewhat consistent...consistently crappy! However fish totals have also been consistent with every trip producing at least a few in the 29" to 31" range. Talk to any of the local guides and they will tell you two things when you fish the bay, presentation and zone. The upper bay is full of migratory fish this time of year and judging by the numbers guys are seeing on electronics it sounds solid. Here is one simple lead core tip that will help put more fish in your boat. When you are spooling out your leader, lead core and backer line, always keep the line and the bait moving! For example, spool out your leader and the first color of lead, hold the spool and give the line a pull, do the same with all colors and every ten yards of backer until you hitch on the board. Once you have the board on, lock the spool, turn on the clicker and back the drag off until the board fights to pull line. I have watched many guys clip on the board, throw it in the water and wait a few minutes while the boat pulls away from the board. In 30 fow the lead will hit bottom long before your board takes up the slack and starts moving with the rest taking your crank bait right through the muck and junk on the bottom. If you keep the line and the board moving at all times you take a top down approach to settling in the zone....do not forget to reset your drag when the board is where you want it....It may look like Deadliest Catch out there this weekend but we are going to give it a try! Good Fishing & see you on the water.
    Fishheadjoe

Default Another Technique

Agree with fishheadjoe about keeping the lures up. Another way is to start well below your target area, speed the boat up to about 2.5 (or higher), and the core will peel off pretty good. Works best if you have 2 people letting out the lines, or use rodholders and let the drag pull it out.

Thanks The Bait Shop Guy !!

We decided to hold off with the high winds that were reported to be rolling in...

Maybe this next weekend !!

Default Thanks to all !

Thanks for the tips , all of you...

Being new to the area and all I think were going to hold off till onother weekend...

You guys sure have a nice place up there !!