www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How to catch a trophy pike

Default How to catch a trophy pike

Most of you clicked on this post hoping to learn how to catch the trophy pike....well...sorry, but I am wondering the same thing....

One fish I haven't caught yet is a really big pike...I have caught some in the upper 30's, but nothing I would consider a trophy. I am looking for something over 40...inches that is.. Alot of mine have been accidents while targeting another species. How can I get one?

Where, when, and how?

Where?
    Should I fish the big water, or the remote inland lake that does not receive much pressure. Most of my big guys have been chasing alewife in lake michigan..This is only because I don't fish the inland lakes much..At least the ones with poor access.

If it is inland lakes, would you choose the large/shallow/weedy lake, or the deep/weedless lake with plenty of structure?

When?
    What time of year?....I would assume late fall, but what does everyone else think?

How?
    Most of my northerns have come trolling big, bright, shallow lures fast....even in water over 20 feet deep. Any other good suggestions?

I live in Manistique, so feel free to point out local hotspots if you like. I know of plenty of places near town where you are guaranteed to catch your limit, but haven't found the monster yet.

Default Big Pike

The larger the body of water, the better chance to catch a big pike. Try the upper Bay. Big baits and a lot of casting. Also, Marquette's lower harbor has some MONSTERS in there. I got one ice fishing a few years back that was in the 40s. They cruise the old pilings and the slips.

October is a great month to fish for big pike. I like to fish inland lakes that have weedy bays in them. Also try where there is a drop off from shallow to deeper water, say from 4ft to 10. I like using spinnerbaits (firetiger, white, blue/chart) all with gold blades, and with a soft plastic trailer on it. Good luck.

Taltson Bay Big Pike lodge

Default Cast, cast, cast...

I agree with "shehateme". Plan on doing lots of casting. Usually, the best month for BIG pike on Little Bay is September. But with everything running late this year as well as the fact that the water temperatures actually ROSE in September, October could see the great pike fishing that we usually see in September. Cloudy days are best. A light steady rain even better. You will find pike just about anywhere along the drop-offs that you find weeds. I would say our favorite spinnerbait is a 3/8 oz. with black or brown skirt and orange blade. Don't see much difference between colorado and willow leaf style blades. Good luck...
    Kevin Lee

If you want to travel, Portage Lake in the Keweenaw always produced. Pike Bay in Chassell most specifically. I've done well on both soft and hard water there. Hard water fishing always produced at least one pushing 20# among the guys I fished with when I lived up there. Hey Capt.JimTC?

Thumbs up Trolling Too

When the weather is too crappy for good casting, speed trolling along the steep breaks with large lures, spoons, or spinnerbaits can also produce. Can run boards, but they aren't necessary, keep some lures pretty close to the boat. Zig-zag over the the break and deep water. Super Shad Raps, Red-Eye spoons, Suicks, Big Husky Jerks, and spinnerbaits heavy enough to stay down. West break from Gladstone running south, Black Bottom, east side of upper bay, bump the speed up to 3 or 4 mph once in a while. A few pike with the "Y" bones removed will cook up into some of the best chowder you've ever had. Good Luck