www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Throwback bait?

Default Throwback bait?

Just wonderng what everyone thinks about throwback baits. I'm headed to LOTW in a week and this will be just my 2nd year musky hunting. I've yet to catch 1. I had some follows last year but no takers. I never swithced lures after a follow, just wondering if I should have thrown something else, something totally different than what I had a follow on. I'll probably be throwing mainly a pacemaker or suick. If I have a follow on either, should I switch right then or come back during a feeding window? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm anxious to get this monkey off my back.
    Thanks

I haven't been fishing muskies very long but the only ones I've ever had come back were on the same bait. I had one wake up behind a creeper three different times in about 12 casts before it finally hit, I didn't get the fish to the boat.

If they're real aggressive I'll throw back either the same bait or a topwater like a Weagle or other slower topwater. If they're slow I just leave em' and hit the spot later in the day or the next day.

I don't think there's a definate answer, too many variables.

There are a lot of variables. Sometimes a Big Game surface twitcher works really good. Seems to work really good in Canada. Sometimes nothing works though and you have to come back at sundown or the next day at the same time.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Thanks for the replies, I figured its gonna be one of those learn as you go and learn by mistake deals.

Quote Originally Posted by familyguy View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I figured its gonna be one of those learn as you go and learn by mistake deals.
    That may one of the best tips ever on this board... pay attention to mistakes some are and some really aren't, gotta watch the details to figure out the difference....Boat control is a primary area.

My best throw back bait story goes like this, A couple years ago I was burning a buck tail over weeds and had a fish flash at it twice. My son said "I heard a creeper is a good throw back bait". I said go for it. His first cast and the fish absolutly tried to kill the bait at the boat. The fished missed and I was holding my rod with the buck tail and a little voice said throw the thing at the hole in the water. 2 cranks and a few jumps later we netted a 39 1/2"er

Wink Throw back bait

My husband, my girlfriend and I were fishing together. My husband had a nice fish up on a globe, so we put an icon on the GPS. We went back for her again and my friend had it up on a fetch-n-catch. The third time we went back I caught her on a thumper. Just had to find out what she was hungry for.
    Musky Cathy

Must have been hungry for some kind of LeLure Cathy. That's what it was going to get anyway from your boat. Kind of nice to have that many good baits at hand.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com