www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Toothy Critters

Default Toothy Critters

Has anyone ever caught a musky or other fish that had a nother lure hanging from its mouth. You hear tales all the time, but I wonder if any of them have are true. I was just thinking about that this morning.

Default jinglebell fish

reminds me of the fabled jinglebell musky, had so many bucktails and spoons in it's mouth when it jumped and shook them it sounded like christmas.

I caught a northern this spring with an ice fishing jig embedded in it's lower jaw.

My wife caught a 28" pike at otter rapids dam with two jig heads and a red hook embedded 2 years ago.

I have seen a muskie that hit a Rapala a guy was using for walleyes. It broke the line, then a few days later the Muskie floated. The rapala had pinned the muskies mouth shut, leading to death. Makes me wonder if the fish is like a gator, lots of crushing power, but no strength to open. Know what I mean ?

Interesting stories. I know what you are talking about with the gator jaws. I have had a bunch of what I think are pike snap my bass lures and worms off real quick. I know that are a lot of fish in each lake, I just often wonder what happens to them after they snap the bait off.

The other pikes that broke off jigs, i had a picture pop into my head as I read it. It made me think of a punk kid that got distracted as a teen and has a coulpe of lip rings hanging out of his mouth. Tough fish though, with a little bling.

I was fishing in a northern mn walleye lake and stumbled into a nice pike fishery there that no one was using. Being a bit naive, I was using 6lb test , no problem on the little northerns but when a big one would hit, I would loose it but seemed to always find the floating lure a day or two latter. Finally upped my tackle and went to multistrand leaders.

So far I have landed 3 muskies with "hardware" hanging off their faces. The last one was a 39 inch tiger muskie that hit a stillwater. It had a plastic looking minnow with small spinner hanging in the corner of its mouth. During a shake in the net the fish got rid of the minnow.
    I caught a 35 incher on a crane bait with a beetle spin in the corner of its mouth and a 42 incher on a bucktail with a rapala looking lure hooked in the gil plate.

Corey Meyer