www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Wire Line Trolling For Muskies

Default Wire Line Trolling For Muskies

Most people I've seen use MH saltwater trolling rods with a roller tip for trolling. Since the wire does not stretch, what do you do to prevent the fish from breaking off?

Yes - I am aware of the action of the rod can help, and setting a light drag helps, but are you using a leader that is longer than usuaul due to the non-stretch properties of wire to absorb the shock?

I bought and used a wire set up for my trip to the Georgian Bay last year. I really liked it for there, but probably won't use it around here. Baits run a little deeper on wire, but my main reason for using it was crashing shoals 30' down at 5mph.

I don't think you need to worry about loosing fish because of no stretch. Powerpro or whatever kind of superline you use doesn't really have any stretch either. I found out quickly that the best leader setup with wire is none. I attached a snap to the end of the wire and that's it...no leader.

First shoal I hit, my leader got trashed. That's the last time I used one. I ran my drags how I normally do. Got snags, banged shoals, caught one muskie. Wire was great for that application. Can really feel the fish on a fight and hold up to some serious abuse.

I used 37lb monel wire by American Fishing Wrie Co, I think. (hard to find)
    Bought mine from a guy in VA. I also bought a bigger than normal size Okuma Convector line counter and a cheaper shimano rod with metal guides. You will also want a twilli tip.

Thanks for the info. Tom