www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: netting Q

Default netting Q

Not trying to stir the pot, but is it legal for Native Americans to set nets in a river feeding the Great Lakes? Are there regulations for where nets can be set? Just looking for info not trying to start a new ibashing thread. thanks

they have guide lines as to where they can set, in the bays or from river mouths etc. it's all in the treaties.

Here is a link to the 2007 Consent Decree. Read it and learn. IMHO there are many grey areas. Although I willingly concede to the rights of the Native Americans to fish in ways outlined in the decree, I believe that enforcement of the laws and efforts and common ground on the proper management of the resources is still an issue.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6765--,00.html

If the link doesn't work you can go to the MDNR website and search it.

Steve Horton
    These are the voyages of the S.S. Enterprise......to search out new weedbeds....to explore new reefs...to boldly go where no muskie fishermen have gone before.

So, when I was up last Tuesday, I was fishing the Day River and came across two individuals setting nets upstream from Bay Shore Drive, from bank to bank. Is that legal or should I have contacted the DNR's RAP? I have a hard time seeing a river, that gets a steelhead run, getting completely cut off.

I would have absolutely called the DNR's rap line. If even just to check that the guys were in compliance, and let them sort out the details. But thats just me.

Steve Horton
    These are the voyages of the S.S. Enterprise......to search out new weedbeds....to explore new reefs...to boldly go where no muskie fishermen have gone before.

Thank you both. Looks like there is a lot of reading/interpretation there.

Default Nothing to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by pure_joker View Post
    So, when I was up last Tuesday, I was fishing the Day River and came across two individuals setting nets upstream from Bay Shore Drive, from bank to bank. Is that legal or should I have contacted the DNR's RAP? I have a hard time seeing a river, that gets a steelhead run, getting completely cut off.
    I think what you saw were some nets being set by some folks doing a study on the sucker populations. They are here from a major university, but I forget which one. Anyway, nothing to worry about.
    Kevin Lee

They have the same net system on Squaw Creek. It is vary well marked as a sucker trap for research. This is the 2nd year that they have done it at Squaw Creek and the sign say's that the nets are to be check daily?

Default days river

I saw the nets Saturday, lots of suckers but I also saw a big male steelhead, he was dead floating in the nets & it looked like he had been there a while. We tried fishing brookies on a couple feeder creeks to the Days but no luck. Is there any good brook trout fishing in the Gladstone or surounding area? I dont want names just general info. I caught 3 yesterday 10" 11" 12.5". Now some fried spuds, grillin beans, sounds like a good lunch for sure!