www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: steelhead

Default steelhead

Just wondering if there is any good steelhead fishing up in the Gladstone area once the Ice is gone. I thought maybe the Ford River, Rapid River, Esky or other's in the area may have good runs. Looking for different spots to try this spring. Down here in NWLP they are starting to run but not in full swing yet, still too much ice.

All of the streams listed get runs along with others some of these streams have many many miles that fish disperse over along with the small tributaries that run into them. I have heard people are getting steelhead on the Menominee now the others will start to get fish as the weather warms and water rises. If you are in the NWLP i would think if you are looking to drive to fish look South right now and North in about a week and a half through the end of April. I have as a general rule done better the 2nd and 3rd week of April up here and did real good on the opener last year bon the cedar and bark river.Good luck...

Vertigo

I have my best luck for steelies over in Manistique adn also out in Thompson---both spots are pretty heavily fished but if you time it right the fishing is pretty darn good.

I was in Manistique today and saw about half a dozen people fishing by the dam. Does anyone know if its still to early for them to start coming in the days or the rapid yet? Do you have spawn bags yet Bait Shop Guy?

Yes, we have spawn bags.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

I've checked the Rapid a couple of times this past week and haven't seen any sign of them yet. Might be a little early--maybe as soon as the ice blows out more. Would be nice if it warmed up a tad too!!!!!!!!!

Steelhead are in the Rapid!!!!! stay away from the mouth though, lots of Walleye already in and makes it really hard to fish.

Default steelies

I'll be up on May 1 through the 3rd, been doing good down here on the Big M. They are still running with fresh fish still available, the suckers are in and the walleyes are gone. Should be fun to try a some different waters. I'll try some flies and spawn and go on from there. Have you guys tried any wobble glows up there? We use them allot and they seem to catch just as many as anything else.

I prefer yarn in colors of chartreuse, roe, cherise, white, and oregon cheese. If the yarn doesn't work or if the fish are really spooky I switch to a black stonefly or pheasant tail nymph. I've found a few good runs and holes that I sometimes use plugs in and the fish hammer them but I really prefer to have a fish "take" a fly.

Capt. Jim McDonald