www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky/Pike Regulation Changes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am not a biologist nor the God of musky fishing but I know a little bit about a few things. That being said, I really believe the middle stretch of the Allegheny could support many more muskies than are already present without missing a beat in terms of the ecosystem. We have way above average sizes and girths when compared to the rest of the state and the baitfish population is incredible. Carp, suckers and big shad are everywhere and occur naturally not to mention the thousands of trout that are stocked yearly. The fly hatches are diversified and plentiful as well.

In my opinion, if the PFBC is truly sincere in their statements about a "wait and see" approach regarding the relatively new 40-inch limit and the impact it will have on our waters, there will be an increase in stocking to this stretch of river down the road. I am in no way bashing the PFBC but have praised them for enabling a guy like Bill Martin to float stock our section of river several years back. (He retired last year and will be missed by all musky fisherman.) He alone is responsible for helping an incredible class of fish reach lengths (on the average) of 39-45 inches with some of those same fish already closing in on the 4-foot mark with his efforts.

I cannot (and will not) speak about other waterways because I have not guided nor fished in those areas 130 days per year for the past 15 years.

Can you imagine a catch and release section for the Middle Allegheny River (or any other NW PA waterway) becoming a reality??? Driving time from Ohio, NY, MD and WV being less than 5 hours and in many cases 3 hours or less. Talk about an increase in out-of-state license sales. The biggest downside for the River would be accessibility with "normal" boats. It is pretty much a jet drive situation.

Yep, I am dreaming. Back to work.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-15-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com