www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Favorite fish fry recipe?

Default Favorite fish fry recipe?

How do you guys prefer to cook up your fresh catch? Home-made batter, store bought, sides, beer?

Past few years we've utilized this Beer Batter product from Shore Lunch:
    http://www.shorelunch.com/products/p...x?productid=25

As we are usually preparing ours over a camp fire, it really helps to have a thick/deep pan, which holds a plenty of oil and regulates/maintains its temperature better... A Dutch oven with the top off works great.

Leads to less drop in temp as you add filets, and just a more consistent temp overall.

We mix up a bunch of batter and use whatever is left for sides. Fresh cut potatoes in that shore lunch beer batter make for some delicious french fries!

I agree with Slow Burn, I use a cast iron Dutch over w/o the lid and let me tell ya.....once the oil gets hot...it stays hot! I have made a many fish fries the conventional way (electric friers) and this beats them all....hands down!

I cook my fish outside... on the Weber charcoal grill. I get the coals hot, them heap them into a mound then place the Dutch over in the center of the heap...add the oil. It doesn't take long for the oil to get hot (monitor with thermometer) I can cook the fillets in less than three minutes.

The last time I used Shore Lunch; I lightly added salt and pepper to each fillet, I rolled them in flour, then egg batter, then the SL breading..... There were no fillets for leftovers (wife loves the leftovers)....and I made a large batch.