www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Dumb question: Larva worms in walleye mouth

Default Dumb question: Larva worms in walleye mouth

I know this will sound like a dumb question. I was up fishing on the TFF this past Saturday, June 14th. The north end of the flowage, right where the flowage opens up. I was get a lot of bites in 12 FOW. Caught a few walleye, perch, and a crappie. (On Memorial Weekend they were just biting non-stop in this spot.) Saturday, I looked into the mouth of one of the walleye that I caught and there were 8 - 10 little gray worms/larva on the roof of his mouth, and a few on his tongue. I lost a fish later, and pulled up my minnow/jig, and there were a couple of the same worms/larvae on the minnow. I thought that they would be mayfly larva, but they don't match up to pictures of mayfly larva that I've seen when I did a Google search when I got home.

Grayish in color, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch range, no legs or anything - pretty smooth body, wiggling around....

So, what were the fish eating? They were eating a bunch of them. I assumed they were mayfly larvae...

They might be baby leeches. It sounds weird, but the mom leeches carry them attached to her stomach in bunches, Maybe the eyes were eating leeches? I think Ive seen what youre describing, attached to different aquatic organisms like frogs feet, and I always thought they were groups of baby leeches but I could be wrong.

RF:

I remember these same little critters in walleye that I caught on the TFF a few years back. Never did figure out what they were....

Attachment 22141

This life cycle of the leech might help.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.