Hi ChipVet,
In regards to this season and fish quantity and quality - I saw a drop in the amount of fish I saw as well as 45+ inch fish that i saw or heard people catch. I think that was what alot of people experienced. Alot of the fish i saw were in the 35-40 inch range with biggest one I caught this year being 42. I did happen upon a 40lb class fish at the end of June but that was in a totally random spot and never saw it again the rest of the season. Beautiful fish!

Not sure if it is true or not but i was told as well as read some studies that with the cold spring and late ice out that the larger females sometimes forgo spawning and instead actually stay deep during the summer and live off their spawn.....could be the reason for all the smaller (possibly males) that people were catching and seeing this season. Also, the two biggest fish that i know were caught this year both came in 12+ feet of water. One being the 52.5 incher that was caught by a walleye fisherman in 14-15 feet of water and a 50.25incher that was caught in 12 feet.

As far as the lowering of the Lake - This will be the biggest draw down since 1994 I believe. I believe the 8-10 ft draw down will have huge benefits to the lake. first it will allow the main lake bars to be exposed and allow the sand to be oxidized and allow for sand fleas to hatch which then can be used as food for fish fry during spring spawning time. Also it will allow the thick crud weeds to die off and make the lake as well as the main lake bars healthier. It will also protect the shorelines and islands and grass patches and stumps etc... from erosion. It is amazing the kind of erosion that has happened the past 15-20 years. And for everyones info I have saw documents from when the chippewa flowage was formed and how much each winter draw down was and I saw anything from 5 feet to 24 feet up until the mid eighties. I think the draw down was definitely beneficial during that 60-65 year period. The flowage has had the most dramatic changes the past 20 years or so due to high water. So personally i think the winter draw down is going to be greatly beneficial.