Hello all,
I recently started ice fishing after a 20 year hietus. My 10 year old son has wanted to go for the last couple of years. I had kept my old gear around so we dusted it off and headed out to the TFF. We are new to the Mercer area. Having fished mainly in the madison and Oneida County areas, I didn't have a clue as to where to go so we went off of Fishermans Landing. We don't have a truck, ATV snowmobile ect so we have to haul our gear on the portable shanty. So far I am 0-4 trips in getting him a flag. I caught one eye while packing up. The flag didn't even pop and I released it. Today he told me he can't wait until the ice melts. While this is good news for the wife letting me fish this summer, its a bummer that he isn't looking foward to flags anymore. He really wants to catch a walleye through the ice but at this point I would take any flags. I am wondering if anyone would offer up some action spots for us. Were not looking to take over your walleye hot hole or catch your hog, just need some flags to award his patience. If you are willing to help us out, please remember we have to walk in and are fishing only with tip-ups in the Mercer area.
Thanks in advance,
Jay