Last night I saw something I hope I never have to see again - a collision between two boats that could have been easily avoided. One boat running slammed into another that was fishing. The boat that was fishing did not have an operational rear light. It's almost impossible to see a boat in the dark without a rear light unless you're approaching it from the front and can see the red/green bow light. Fortunately nobody was severely injured and nobody ended up in the water.

I was fishing about a half mile away when it happened. With the speed that the running boat was moving when he hit the other I thought we'd be looking for a body when we headed over to them. Thankfully that wasn't the case, but it could have been if not for a whole lot of luck. As it is one boat is totaled and another is severely damaged.

Boats can be replaced, lives can't. If you don't have operational lights that are on at all times in the dark, get off the water so that you or someone else doesn't get killed!!! If you're running in the dark maintain a safe speed and be vigilant. There's no reason to be running 50+ MPH in the dark, it doesn't give you enough time to react when/if you see something in front of you!!