www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Education, and Oh yeah, first on the Fly!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Musky Education, and Oh yeah, first on the Fly!!

Well, I hit the water hard with the Flyrod over the weekend and the Musky were there to teach me a few lessons. These fish were crushing these flies like I had never seen before. Most of the action I had before this consisted of the fly being inhaled on the pause during the strip. Not this time. I was stripping the fly in about 1-3 ft below the surface. Next thing I know, I see a low-mid 40's fish shoot right past the fly and about 3ft out of the water with a perfect dolphin dive back in!!! LOL

There was another that slammed the fly so hard right next to the boat that it very nearly took the rod out of my hand. I just wasn't really prepared for these kinds of attacks on such a slow moving bait. But to witness this all so near the boat was FANTASTIC!!

I lost a couple of fish before finally being able to land the one in the pic. I learned that even if I believe that my hookset was not good, never, and I mean NEVER point the rod toward the fish to attempt another hookset. I tried this and lost a very nice one. Should have just kept a bend in the rod and rode it out.

Anyhow, the fish in the pic drilled the fly just as I was ready to yank it out of the water and head to a new spot. Gave a great battle with some very energetic runs in there. One of the crazy things was that I decided to try a new knot when I bought this new fly rig. About 10 minutes after I released this fish, the knot came apart and I lost my whole leader!! LOL And that was just from casting. Lady Luck can be quite interesting. Needless to say, I went back to my old knot.

I cannot wait to get back after them!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlyMusky.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	6983