I have sent a few new people to AML this year and I have pimped the guides in a big way. AML has some of the best guides I have ever fished with so why wouldn't I? The question has come up twice now about how much to tip a guide so I thought I would share my opinion and experiences and then you guys can add yours too.

A guide works hard to get you on fish. A guide realizes your individual skill level and more than likely begins to teach what you lack in order to be successful. If there are certain things you would like to learn, let them know. They will take some extra time to teach you new things.

I don't always measure a guide by the amount of fish we put in the net. Remember the guide is providing a boat and a very specific service. There is nothing certain about muskies and catching one is not a given, ever! The guide provides a good knowledge of the water, structure and conditions that effect fishing. Most guides make boat control look easy, it's not! How about lures, colors, speed and all those little things that make the difference.

If a guide puts you on a trophy class fish, you should tip accordingly. Personal best fish or first time fish, same thing. If a guide has to spend a lot of time with your kid (back lashes, how to load the rod etc.) and your kid lands a nice fish, same thing tip them well. If you are a beginner and you now cast twice as far and can finally figure 8 because of them-tip em!

Repeat business is always another way to say thank you. Most work off referrals and repeat guests.

Now if the guide has an attitude problem that's a different story. If you get into a fistfight with the guide but he let's you win, tip accordingly. Usually the guides are the toughest guys on the water, even the short ones (no names)

The biggest question, how much? What do you do at restaurants when the service is good or very good? 10-20% maybe??? The only thing is, you have to figure in amazing- if you feel amazing when you get back to the dock, tip amazing! My buddies and I split the tipping but when we have boated our personal best, we have put in 30-50% on top of our partners' shares.

This is how we do it! Most people won't discuss tip details but I have no problem with it. Some can do more, some can't do as much. One guy told me he didn't know to tip a guide after he was put on a 50" Wisconsin fish. I vomited on him! The message here: it is appropriate to tip the guide!

See you guys during Spanky Week Aug 15th

Moatsy