Hi all,
It's once again time for my yearly trip to beautiful Leech Lake. I make it every year the first week of June. As I noted last year, I have kept a fishing journal for some years now. I count all keeper size fish caught off the docks or marinas and any fish caught from the boat.

I'm making my trip a week later this year due to my week always moving up a few days. I would have had to go on May 30th to keep the same week.

Here are the results from the most recent years.

2000 = 18 walleye, 6 northern, 8 perch, 3 rock bass
2001 = 15 walleye, 12 northern, 11 perch
2002 = 9 walleye, 11 northern, 10 perch, 21 rock bass
2003 = 2 walleye, 53 northern, 6 perch, 2 rock bass
2004 = My second son was born, no fishing for me
2005 = 0 walleye, 18 northern, 17 perch, 4 rock bass, 1 largemouth bass
2006 = 1 walleye, 17 northern, 33 perch, 7 rock bass, 1 largemouth bass
2007 = 12 walleye, 39 northern, 37 perch, 21 rock bass, 3 largemouth bass, 2 crappie, 1 bullhead, 17 sunfish

2008 = 19 walleye, 38 northern, 1 perch, 3 largemouth bass, 7 rock bass, 14 sunfish, 13 crappie, 2 bowfin

2009 ?

2007 was our best year for numbers, but 2008 had better fishing when I factor in the larger size per fish, the high amount of rained out fishing time, and, crappie were nice! Notice how the bottom fell out on walleye numbers but returned strongly recently.
I am a multispecies angler, fishing for whatever has the best chance for success. I tend to fish for walleyes only in the evening by shadrapping. I don't like the crowds. I fish for northerns in the afternoon or late morning, and crappies and bass in the early morning. Recently I keep intending to fish more for largemouth bass, but end up getting sidetracked for other species.
My plan this year is to fish more for walleye, even in the mornings or afternoons, especially if I get some light chop or a coming storm. I've heard about how numerous they've been. Also, I am going to try once again for crappie in my secret spot. My new plan is to try my Georgia fly rod with a tiny bobber and a suspended jig worked below it. Last year, I had great success with a spinning rod and suspending the jig for crappie, rock bass and sunfish. Perhaps the flyrod will help me to get the jig back at them quicker. I'm hoping that last year wasn't unique for crappie due to the late ice out and they are still there this year. I'd like to bass fish but suspect I'll get too caught up in the other kinds to do it more than once.
I am worried that the forecast calls for cold and rain. That might put a dampter on things. I will update this post when I get back, hopefully with good results. Good luck fishing everyone!

Steve