www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 23 inch slot part 5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 23 inch slot part 5

Cosmic

What were the reasons to remove slot? Many of us think that the bigger the fish the more they spawn but I have read that the fish along the lines of 23-26 inches do most of the spawning. When the big girls get to trophy size I thought that they do less and less spawning and start to ingest there eggs. This may not be the case on the Bay, but like many have stated change for the sake of change-why?

Mike: All of the female walleyes that are sexually mature will spawn and many of them are smaller than 23 inches. And this is not “change for the sake of change”. When I first arrived on the scene in 2001, I reviewed all of our regulations that affect our management unit (northern Lake Michigan). The researchers who have studied the fisheries on the bays for years indicated back then that this regulation was unnecessary and not needed. When I brought this idea to the clubs, they were staunchly opposed to changing it. Just a few months ago, one of the members of the Great Lakes Sport Fishermen approached me about getting rid of the 23 inch regulation. In fact, their go-to biologist Jerry Peterson supports getting rid of it. So please and again, don’t shoot the messenger.
    DooFighter

I don't much care either way on the slot.

I do disagree with the attitude of the big ones not being any good to eat, though. Simply trim up those hogs and you will not tell the difference. If anyone disagrees and wants to get rid of some big ones, just give me a call when they're fresh, I'll take them off your hands

As for walleye reproducing, if they are anything like women, the old fat ones don't produce many offspring at all (thank goodness) LOL (1)

Mike: (1) I’m afraid that my position as a state employee prevents me from making any comments here.

Finaddict

I kinda think a dead fish is a dead fish. 15 inches, 22, inches, 25 and bigger. It's all about the spawning conditions and which year classes are good-vs-explotation rates. A high reproduction-explotation rate will make for a good fishery. Just look at Lake Erie.....there is no slot limit there and its the walleye capital of the world with lots of big fish. (1)

If you want a slot.....lets do a "no kill" from 20-25 inches so we can save the prime spawners. One last word...shut down the slaughter in the FOX and Menominee Rivers for one month every spring and you'd probably save alot more big fish than get caught inside LBDN all year round. (2)

Just my opinion.....don't ever take it personal.

One thing I am also really curious about is to where all the "save the fish" activists were when the DNR DID CHANGE THE LIMIT ON SALMON TO 5 INTEAD OF 3. I guess I will be the voice for the poor discrimianted against salmon! As Rodney Danderfield would say "I get no respect!" Salmon deserve more than they got.

Mike: (1) Good point about Lake Erie Jim, thanks for making it. And it is important for anglers to recognize that a dead fish is a dead fish. The female you caught in June and kept may be the same female you released because she was full of spawn in February. Just something to think about.

(2) Just so you know, there are a LOT of folks who fish Green Bay who recognize that there are a lot of walleye and would love to increase the spring harvest of this species. There are even some proposals being floated by folks south of here to do just that. Some of these guys also remember the glory days of excellent brown trout and splake fishing in Green Bay in very early spring. Although the decline of smelt here certainly contributes to that reduced harvest since about 2000 (as well as a whole host of other changes), the very large walleye population is also undoubtedly having an impact on yearling salmonids that are stocked each year.
    Last edited by Kevin Lee; 02-02-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Kevin Lee