Hi Everyone,

I just found the site and was wondering if you guys could offer up some answers to some questions I have regarding floating the river.

I have a 16' High Side Drift Boat that we use to float the Youghiogheny and Middle Allegheny for both trout and smallmouth. The boat obviously needs to be trailered and a "good" launch is preffered, but we can rope/slide the boat in if necessary. Also, motoring back upstream is not an option, so we have to have a take out where we can get the boat out downstream. We have always wanted to fish the upper Allegheny, but weren't sure about what the conditions needed to be and where to find the right launches on the river for a day long float.

So, here are my questions...

If I were to put in below Kinzua, are there flows that are too low to float? I see that the PAFBC recommends staying off the water if flows are above 5,000cfs, but no mention is given to a low point.

From the dam, where would be some appropriate takeout options for a trailered boat? I see that there is one on the PAFBC map nearly 13 miles downstream, but that may be a bit too long for the short days we are under now.

How is the trout fishing through the winter? I've heard stories of nice fish, but can find very little info when I search the web.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike