www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Cedar River Area Night Bite?

Smile Cedar River Area Night Bite?

Well...it is that time of year again when I start gearing up for my long truck rides to the most beautiful area around to fish the fall walleyes. Typically I fish from about Ford River heading North. Was wanting to give the cedar river area a try. Any info on a night bite out of cedar river. I'm not asking for spots/locations/tips/ your GPS coordinates. Just wondering if it will be worth putting in next weekend. Thanks for all the posts and great info....

The bite out of Cedar River has been good to excellent so far this fall. In my last four trips we caught 14, 18, 20 and 16 fish. It has been a little goofy though with warmer than normal water temps for this time of year (still hovering around 70 F). It is a very structure orientated fishery and you need to be on the "spot on the spot" to be successful so studying a map before you head out is crucial. It helps to stay mobile as one reef will be hot one night and dead the next. I've caught fish as shallow as 6 and as deep as 40 fow so far.

When heading out of the river make sure to stay towards the west wall (green side) and look for the red and green channel markers just outside of the mouth. An obvious greenhorn last night would've hammered his outdrive as he was going straght out and actually heading east towards some sunken cribs before I blew my airhorn at him and waved my arms frantically while pointing towards the channel markers. Also be careful if heading south as there is probably around 20 - 30 trapnets set anywhere from about 25 to 70 fow.

Good Luck-

Capt. Jim McDonald