www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - June 21st

Default Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - June 21st

Summer may have arrived just a little before the Muskie Opener. Kakagi (Crow) Lake is showing lakes temps mostly in the upper 60's and LOTW is reporting in at just over 70 in the shallow stained water areas.

The Muskie opener was pretty good. Some first time guests reported a 41 and 47 inch Muskie opening morning. Another guest trying the opener action for his first time with us, caught a nice 44 inch Muskie. Some long time guests had the best boat on the opener with 9 Muskies caught and 5 more lost. A 46 inch Tiger Muskie was caught on the opener. A few groups seem to be struggling more then others, but usually by end of week they will find a pattern that is working for them. In total the guest started out the season with about 25 caught and numerous follows reported. All the Muskies were caught on Kakagi. In general the Muskies have been in the shallow bays or the first drop off near the bays.

Bass were on the beds on Kakagi much of the week and one of the groups managed a 102 smallmouth day with average size of 3 pounds. Many of the bass caught on Kakagi have been the better ones ranging between 3 and 6 pounds. Tonight some of the bass started showing up on the rocks just off the spawning ground areas. On Kakagi's clear water when the bass are on beds, usually you only catch one or two bass per downed tree because they spook very easily; as they move to the rocks they don't spook nearly as much, making catching 5 to 10 from a rock pile is fairly common. Bass on LOTW were biting good when groups would find a hungry school - LOTW bass should be nearly done spawning and getting ready for some surface feeding soon!

Lake Trout started the week great, we had a few slower days and seems to be improving this weekend. The biggest challenge for the Lake Trout is the warmer waters are pushing them deeper 75' was the shallowest reported Lake Trout late in the week.

A few decent Walleyes were caught this past week from LOTW in the mid 20 inch range and a 5 1/2 pound Walleye was caught on South Narrows. Live bait and casting shorelines is still working for Walleyes.

Northern Pike from Stevens Bay were again very active - some mid 30 inch Pike reported with lots of action from the small toothcritters. Several Northern Pike were caught on Kakagi by the bass fishing groups.

With the warmer weather the past week, almost daily a few people have been swimming at the beach. Jenny convinced me to try jumping in the lake. She jumped first and hollered back it wasn't too bad - when I was in the air and past the point of no return - I heard Jenny giggling before I went under water - it was a quick refreshing swim and I think I will wait a few days for the warmer surface water to push down a little deeper before I jump in the lake again. :-)

Happy Fathers Day!
    Kevin Nelson
    Boreal Bay Lodge
    (800) 541-5816

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nelson View Post

With the warmer weather the past week, almost daily a few people have been swimming at the beach. Jenny convinced me to try jumping in the lake. She jumped first and hollered back it wasn't too bad - when I was in the air and past the point of no return - I heard Jenny giggling before I went under water - it was a quick refreshing swim and I think I will wait a few days for the warmer surface water to push down a little deeper before I jump in the lake again. :-)

Happy Fathers Day!
    Whats the Canadian word for shrinkage? ;-)